Thread: Lookin' for advice

Feedback Score

Default Lookin' for advice

I'd like to build an AK or assemble an AR. Like I said my shop got Raided. Which would be easiest with hand tools and hand drill? I saw a site Where a guy finished an 80% AR lower with hand tools and JB weld. Mujaddenar-15, i think. I'm the type that believes form follows function. But a well finished weapon just plain looks GREAT.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I can't say anything about the 80% AR reciever. But you only need punches, screw drivers and a hammer to assemble the lower on an AR. The upper needs a few tools designed for the AR, most AR parts kits have the upper already assembled.

If you get a 100% reciever for the AK you can do a screw build with basic hand tools & a hand drill, it can be switched to rivets later when you get the tools.
    For about $20 you can get a pulley puller to pull the barrel, and if you don't have or have access to a press you can use the all-thread to reinstall it.

But for $30-40 you can get one of those Harbor Freight bench top drill press, it would be a lot easier then a hand drill.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The only time JB weld (or any other sort of epoxy) should be used near a firearm is to fill in voids, like you would use Bondo on a car.

When you say "80%" to you mean the cast ingots that require you to machine the internals? If so, then you could do that with a dremel and a drill if you were patient enough... there are receiver shells that have the magazine well milled out, requiring you to "only" drill all the holes.

This has been discussed quite a bit, you should search this forum and you'll find a thread from earlier this year where some guys did this very thing. I think it would be quite entertaining to build one from the block. But understand that you won't be able to properly finish it without the tools and a solution to anodize the aluminum. Chemicals, reamers, a battery charger, you'll need quite a bit of "extra" stuff to properly finish it off.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Welcome to the board, yes I have also read the thread about the guy building with a hand drill and JB weld for the buffer tube instead of threads.
    This one; http://mujahadeenar15a2.tripod.com/

I would suggest that you start with a stripped lower and install the parts yourself and then think about moving to the 80% builds after that. But in the end it's your time and money so you can do it in any order you want.

There are lots of sites about finishing 80% builds, as well as sites that sell the 80% lowers and sites that sell jigs and drill bits and taps to finish your project. The Builders Squad was one of the better ones I have read about how to finish an 80% with a drilling jig.

Here's just one site that sells a drilling jig; http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html

Enjoy the hobby and melt those charge cards
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

IF you got raided, What was their motive for the raid? My guess is if you in fact got raided, it was probably because you were doing something that drew their attention. Most here stay within the letter of the law including providing info or help to those that would cause us to loose our hobby. I think you should elaborate on the purpose of the raid before any info is freely given.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Yes an explaintion would be nice, I read his other post about it and it sounded to me like thieves.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

YOU can buy a 100% AR reciver for $100. it is the cheap part of a AR 15 I have not found any real short cuts or ways to save money when it comes to a a AR. An AK on the other hand can be done for around $140 dollars n pistol form. Seems that a lot of the guys that I have run across( not here) have some excuse for not wanting a 100 percent reciver. My gut feeling is that many are skirting the law or cant legaly own a fire arm. (IMOA) I can do a AK flat for $12 with very little tooling so there is a siginifcant cost savings and a more valid reason for making my own. I plan on doing an AR some day so I bought a pair of reciver at $100 each and put them away. for a 100 dollars I cant make one or two cost efectivly especialy when the rest of the gun will cost another $700-$1000 (varmit build) the reciver is just 10-15 percint of the cost of the gun. The up side to a 100% reciver is you can leagaly sell it some day.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.