Gunco Forums banner

Newbie question about M-16 uppers

6K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  sniper69 
#1 ·
I am new to these forums, so Hi all. I have a question about the Ohio Ordnance Works M-16 uppers. They come without bolt, carrier, and charging handle. Can I use any bolt, carrier and charging handle? I assume its .223, but is there a special type I need? Thanks, Jeff

#2 ·
Hey SNAKEBYTE - welcome to gunco. :)

#3 ·
Is this going on a full auto M16 or a semi auto AR15? Different carriers, the full auto one in a semi could be bad news from a legal standpoint although it will function fine. Have to have the FA carrier to work in a 16 though. The bolts and charging handles are identical. Other than checking headspace for a particular combo, you can use any bolt in the right calber.

#7 ·
Welcome to Gunco SNAKEBYTE.

KernelKrink just about summed it up. AFAIK, and I'm no expert, my research tells me that you would be fine with an M-16 stripped upper. Fill it with an AR-15 Carrier(most carriers come complete with bolt) and a charging handle which is the same in an AR-15 or an M-16. Then you can put your completed upper on an AR lower. Unless you're class III, putting the internal parts of a miltarty M-16 into a civilian AR-15 will get you time in Club Fed! Savvy? The standard configuration for an M-16 or AR-15 is 5.56 NATO/ .223 Remmington!

#9 ·
One other issue is the Colt brand AR15 lowers use a different front pivot pin arrangement on at least some of their receivers. To adapt a milspec upper to those you need a special offset pin. No biggie, just something to be aware of. AFAIK all other brand lowers used the milspec front pin arrangement.

#11 ·
SNAKEBYTE said:
Hey... I know you!:eek:

Thought that was you. :) How's the hot weather treating you? I heard it has been in the 90's up where you're at.

#13 ·
Welcome to the forum SNAKEBYTE.

If you deside to buy this I'd ask them if they could headspace it with an AR bolt and what it would cost as a complete upper, unless you can do this yourself.
I think it would save you some possible headaches.

but if you don't have that extra hole in the lower, you should be ok.
Unlike the AK, you should not have any M16 (full auto) internals on the same property as an AR, they can get you for "intent to build" just for having this stuff and a legal rifle.

#14 ·
Coils said:
If you deside to buy this I'd ask them if they could headspace it with an AR bolt and what it would cost as a complete upper, unless you can do this yourself.
I think it would save you some possible headaches.
Also to build on what coils is saying - have you checked with del-ton or model 1 sales? They sell complete AR kits (everything but the stripped lower receiver) for around $465 (and up depending on options).

#16 ·
Coils said:
Welcome to the forum SNAKEBYTE.

Unlike the AK, you should not have any M16 (full auto) internals on the same property as an AR, they can get you for "intent to build" just for having this stuff and a legal rifle.
That's debatable, The FCG is definately a no-no, The M-16 upper is AOK because there is no way an upper can be modified so the rifle can fire more than one round. I'm doing some research on the issue now. What I'm finding is you can even have an M-16 carrier in your AR! IMO I wouldn't use an M16 carrier. An unscrupulous agent at the range might decide to twist the regulations and apply "intent". But I would confidently install an M-16 upper with an AR carrier and shoot away!

#17 ·
Dirty Harry said:
That's debatable, The FCG is definately a no-no, The M-16 upper is AOK because there is no way an upper can be modified so the rifle can fire more than one round. I'm doing some research on the issue now. What I'm finding is you can even have an M-16 carrier in your AR! IMO I wouldn't use an M16 carrier. An unscrupulous agent at the range might decide to twist the regulations and apply "intent". But I would confidently install an M-16 upper with an AR carrier and shoot away!
I wouldn't use an M-16 carrier, FCG, or selector. Now if an M-16 upper is used with AR parts then it doesn't appear to be a problem. You're right that the upper isn't what makes it full- or semi- but rather the carrier, FCG, and selector.

Check out these two items of interest from the ATF:

"The definition of machinegun also includes a combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person. An example of a firearm meeting this section of the definition is a semiautomatic AR15 rifle possessed with an M16 bolt carrier, hammer, trigger, disconnector and selector. If the semiautomatic AR15 is assembled with the described M16 parts and the rifle is capable of fully automatic fire, the weapon possessed in conjunction with the M16 parts, whether assembled or not, is a machinegun as defined.17"
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/chapter2.pdf

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION CONCERNING AR-15 TYPE RIFLES
ATF has encountered various AR-15 type rifles such as those manufactured by Colt, E.A. Company, SGW, Sendra and others which have been assembled with fire control components designed for use in M16 machine guns. The vast majority of these rifles which have been assembled with an M16 bolt carrier, hammer, trigger, disconnector and selector will fire automatically merely by manipulation of the selector or removal of the disconnector. Many of these rifles using less than the 5 M16 parts listed above will also shoot automatically by manipulation of the selector or removal of the disconnector. Any weapon which shoots automatically, more than 1 shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger, is a machine gun as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(b), the National Firearms Act (NFA). In addition, the definition of machine gun also includes any combination of parts from which a machine gun may be assembled, if such parts are in possession or under the control of a person. An AR-15 type assault rifle which fires more than one shot by a single function o the trigger is a machine gun under the NFA. Any machine gun is subject to the NFA and the possession of an unregistered machine gun could the possessor to criminal prosecution. Additionally, these rifles could pose a safety hazard in that they may fire automatically without the user being aware that the weapon will fire more than 1 shot with a single pull of the trigger.
In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16, hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1 type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration.
It is important to note that any modification of the M16 parts should be attempted by fully qualified personnel only.
Should you have any questions concerning AR-15 type rifles with M16 parts, please contact your nearest ATF office. Our telephone numbers are listed in the ?United States Government? section of your telephone directory under the ?United States Department of Justice.?"
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/appendix_b.pdf

#24 ·
All but one of the M16 FA parts will fit in an AR. The auto sear is the only part that will not fit. In order to make it fit you have to do 2 modifications, 1 to the upper and 1 to the lower. On the lower you need to drill a hole and on the upper you need to cut a slot. If you do these two mods then you have an M16. Using an M16 upper will take you halfway.

#25 ·
Go back and read post #17. The ATF doesn't class the upper receiver of and M16 as a FA part, even if it is different then one for an AR15. So yes a M16 upper can be used on an AR.
The parts listed in this quote, per ATF regs, are the ones to stay away from.

An example of a firearm meeting this section of the definition is a semiautomatic AR15 rifle possessed with an M16 bolt carrier, hammer, trigger, disconnector and selector. If the semiautomatic AR15 is assembled with the described M16 parts and the rifle is capable of fully automatic fire, the weapon possessed in conjunction with the M16 parts, whether assembled or not, is a machinegun as defined.17
I know it say "capable of fully automatic fire", even if it can't, in the eyes of the ATF just having these parts and an AR your attempting to build a machinegun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.