Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question about M-16 uppers

Feedback Score

Default Newbie question about M-16 uppers

I am new to these forums, so Hi all. I have a question about the Ohio Ordnance Works M-16 uppers. They come without bolt, carrier, and charging handle. Can I use any bolt, carrier and charging handle? I assume its .223, but is there a special type I need? Thanks, Jeff

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Hey SNAKEBYTE - welcome to gunco.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Is this going on a full auto M16 or a semi auto AR15? Different carriers, the full auto one in a semi could be bad news from a legal standpoint although it will function fine. Have to have the FA carrier to work in a 16 though. The bolts and charging handles are identical. Other than checking headspace for a particular combo, you can use any bolt in the right calber.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Welcome to Gunco , Are you talking ar-15 or m-16. Eather way, I am no expert again welcome to Gunco, Lots of people with answers.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

The ad is for an m16 upper. No interest in full auto. AR15 lower if possible.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sniper69
    Hey SNAKEBYTE - welcome to gunco.
    Hey... I know you!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Welcome to Gunco SNAKEBYTE.

KernelKrink just about summed it up. AFAIK, and I'm no expert, my research tells me that you would be fine with an M-16 stripped upper. Fill it with an AR-15 Carrier(most carriers come complete with bolt) and a charging handle which is the same in an AR-15 or an M-16. Then you can put your completed upper on an AR lower. Unless you're class III, putting the internal parts of a miltarty M-16 into a civilian AR-15 will get you time in Club Fed! Savvy? The standard configuration for an M-16 or AR-15 is 5.56 NATO/ .223 Remmington!

Feedback Score

Welcome to Gunco! Every state has it's dopey laws regarding threaded barrels, bayonet lugs, etc., but if you don't have that extra hole in the lower, you should be ok.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

One other issue is the Colt brand AR15 lowers use a different front pivot pin arrangement on at least some of their receivers. To adapt a milspec upper to those you need a special offset pin. No biggie, just something to be aware of. AFAIK all other brand lowers used the milspec front pin arrangement.

Feedback Score

Don't want any time in the club I just wanted to be sure it would work. Thanks, Jeff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.