Thread: ar 15 assmbly?

Feedback Score

Question ar 15 assmbly?

i really want an ar chambered in 204 but other dpms which the waiting line is 10-12 weeks, or buying someone elses creation that they jack to price up, my options are really limited. its cheaper to buy seperate reievers. how hard is it to attach an upper and lower reciever together? require any special know how or skills? any ones that are better or more versitile? or any thats poorer quality?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by liten_u_up
    i really want an ar chambered in 204 but other dpms which the waiting line is 10-12 weeks, or buying someone elses creation that they jack to price up, my options are really limited. its cheaper to buy seperate reievers. how hard is it to attach an upper and lower reciever together? require any special know how or skills? any ones that are better or more versitile? or any thats poorer quality?

Two "pins" hold the AR upper to the lower. Assembly is easy enough - I assembled a stripped lower receiver and bought an upper that was already assembled. Total time about half hour (first time assembling a lower too ).
    As for the question about versatile or lower quality - are you asking about brands, companies, etc?
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score

"accuracy systems inc" make quite a few different assemblies in .204. they are very proud of their stuff. dpms does too but i dont feel like waiting. i guess im asking about brands. if someone knows where to get a cheap lower but good quality. or if anyones gotten scammed. just things to look out for.

Feedback Score

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...fTARGET+BARREL things like this, how hard is it just swiytch barrels. is there a difference in 223 and 5.56 nato?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by liten_u_up
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...fTARGET+BARREL things like this, how hard is it just swiytch barrels. is there a difference in 223 and 5.56 nato?
    With regards to .223 .vs 5.56, barrels are available in 5.56 NATO and .223 Remmington. 5.56mm NATO is the military round. .223in is the civilian round. You can use .223 in a 5.56 barrel safely but my research tells me you SHOULD NOT fire a 5.56 round in a .223 barrel! IIRC, the 5.56 is dimensionaly different/larger than a .223 with higher chamber pressures! I don't have a quick link to the info. Someone here will most likely have it on hand. If not let me know and I'll dig it up!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

ARs are a piece of cake, even when starting with a bare lower.

More info here.
    AR-15 Lower Receiver Assembly

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The only thing you might want to consider is possable warrenty issues If you buy a complete gun and it dont work right or shoot good you possably get warrenty on it if you build it your self and find the barrel is not any good or something good luck. I am in the same boat I recently purchased a couple of DPMS stripped reciver mainly to get them before any possable law changes and I couldnt afford the entire guns at this time. I have seen very few ways to really save much money on a varmit build like the 204 unless you start machining your own parts and start with a blank. the above is correct on the differances between 5.56 and 223. the Sept issue of American Rifleman(NRA RAG) had a decent story on the differances 5.56 can reach 60,000 PSI and 223 is around 55,000 PSI the 5.56 chamber is slightly larger and the 5.56 has a longer throat as well this can cause problems if the bullet doet not have enough clearance before the rifeling it can cause pressure increases. I recently shot some mil surplus 5.56 in my 223 chamberd AK that uses a savage barrel and I blew primmers on 75 percent of them. I thought it was a case of to hot of a load at first but now I suspect head space issues or not enough bullet leade. If trying to decide which calibur to get I would first consider exactly what I want it for then how much am I going to shoot it and how much ammo prices vairy. 223 or 5.56 can be a lot cheaper to shoot than 204. If you are only going to shoot 400 rounds a year at prairie dogs and they are over 300 yards away then the 204 may be the ticket. If you want to hand load and I recomend you do to get the best accuracy, then 20 tatical or 20-223 may be the way to go(necked down 223 round). another thing to think about is barrel twist If you want to shoot the heavy .22 cal bullets 70GR up better go with a 1-9 0r faster

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.