Gunco Forums banner

Marring/Cleaning Help

915 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sjohnson 
#1 ·
Hi All! Was assembling another AR lower, and could not find my plastic hammer, so I used a small brass one. Now I have some minor brass marks on the reciever. What is the best way to clean these without messing the finish up? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Brass cleans off with ammonia. I've used Sweet's 7.62 to clean brass marks from my milsurps before with no ill effect. A little Sweet's on some 0000 steel wool and gentle rubbing is all it took.

#4 ·
Sweet's 7.62? It's a proprietary gun cleaning compound. For sale around these parts at gun shops. I'd bet though that plain household ammonia would work fine. The Sweets is the consistency of horse snot so sticks and is easier to use but I'd bet plain ammonia is about the same strength.

Just don't get ANY of either on wood - will eat the finish off of wood, and while I've never seen it happen some claim ammonia will eat the blue off of steel. Like I said, never saw it happen on any milsurps I've cleaned with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.