Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AR problem

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default AR problem

So i built my A2 awhile ago ,and never got around to sighting it in,and i started yesturday and it shoots way to the left ,i moved the rear sight all the way over and it is zero at about 25yrds but any further and it still shoots too the left.so does any one know what my problem is,and how to fix it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

HUM... so at 25 you have a good group? But if you shoot say.. 100 yards you dont?

Maybe it's shooter error? Suggest you get a bench rest to shoot from and see if it still does it.
    If any punk kid ever comes up to you asking for your `Gang Sign` Tap your chest twice then your forehead once. After doing that only upon a threat do you draw your glock and show him what you meant.

WOLVERINES!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I have one that is the same way. I have to crank the carry handle sight all the way to the right. This sucks because then I'm out of R.H. windage. Ever shoot a 55 or 62gr bullet 600 yards? You need ALOT of windage adjustment. I have found threads on AR15.com saying that you need to turn the BARREL not the sight. This seems like a hard way to go (headspace?) so I'm going to pull it off and use a bolt-on style. At least I can adjust those type.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

What about rotating the front sight base a little? I'm guessing, don't know if it's possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i'd check and see if it was lined up.. This sounds really fishy.
    If any punk kid ever comes up to you asking for your `Gang Sign` Tap your chest twice then your forehead once. After doing that only upon a threat do you draw your glock and show him what you meant.

WOLVERINES!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The front sight assembly needs to be rotated on the barrel. The simplest method is the BFH. Place barrel in vise and wack the front sight base. Remember move the front sight right to get bullet impact left, or in your case move the fsb left to move bullet right. This is fairly common in replacement barrels. It does not take much rotation to get it straightened out. Place a reference line on the barrel and sight base prior to the BFH application so you know how much you have rotated the base. You may have to adjust back if you over do it.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ammoboy2
    The front sight assembly needs to be rotated on the barrel. The simplest method is the BFH. Place barrel in vise and wack the front sight base. Remember move the front sight right to get bullet impact left, or in your case move the fsb left to move bullet right. This is fairly common in replacement barrels. It does not take much rotation to get it straightened out. Place a reference line on the barrel and sight base prior to the BFH application so you know how much you have rotated the base. You may have to adjust back if you over do it.
    That sounds more like it, but a breaker bar for a lever as opposed to the BFH. My BFH weighs 8lbs. Breaks bones, trust me. Do you drive the pins out first?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glock
    i'd check and see if it was lined up.. This sounds really fishy.
    They make a tool for it that mounts in the carry handle but,,,,,,,

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If the front sight ears are even and not bent, the easiest way I know how to even the front sight block is a method I first used on M1 Garands but the principle is the same. Take the upper off and remove the bolt/carrier and charging handle. Put the rear sight on its lowest setting. Rest the upper upside down on only the front and rear sight ears on a level surface like a formica countertop. Try to rock the upper bacck and forth slowly. If the front sight isn't perfectly level you should be able to feel/see any uneveness. The easy fix is to replace it with a clamp-on rail type. Otherwise if its uneven drive out the 2 pins that hold on the front sight block and remove the sling swivel. Under the swivel is a hole for a 10-32 setscrew. Set the upper on the sight ears like before and move the front sight untill theres no play inbetween the two. Then place a setscrew in the front sight base under the sling swivel mount. Recheck that its still in the correct position and redrill the 2 pin holes slightly larger and replace with new taper pins that you will have to make. Another method would be to redrill the holes the same size, remove the front sight base and peen the area of the barrel where the pin groove starts on the side that you didn't remove metal from. Then repeat the leveling process and replace the front sight base pins. If you just bash it to the correct position you are actually loosening up the sight base and it will have some play in it and can shift your zero.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

tanvil

I guess BFH is a bit undefined. 8lbs sounds like a sledge hammer. A large rubber mallet would probably do the job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.