Thread: Straight tube gas block?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Straight tube gas block?

I am looking for a gasblock which does not require the tube to be kinked (i.e. gasblock hole is level with the hole in the receiver). I saw such a beast , but cannot find it now. LMT sells a barrel assembly with such, but I do not find the block sold sperately.

Thanks in advance,

buckmeister

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Are you talking about an AR15 gas tube and block?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, I am refering to the AR15.

buckmeister

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The only other thing I could find is a super bull barrel from dpms with a straight gas tube, but the gas block was way over size. You could probably make one with only a drill press. The gas tube hole is about 0.18" and 0.9" deep. Spaced 0.78" on center from the barrel hole (0.75") with a gas tube roll pin hole (.08") spaced 0.7" from the back edge. The gas port hole is .125" on one of my steel blocks and .145" on an aluminum block, both are set .265" from the back edge. I saw You already asked on AR15.com, did you have any luck yet?
    Last edited by moleman; 03-06-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

No luck yet from the various sites I asked. Thanks for the input and measurements!

I have a YHM/ZM bolt/carrier that is begging to be made into a working clone. The ZM carrier lacks the back half, so it needs no buffer tube. Instead, it has a "horn" - a long gas tube extending forward of the key. The tube extending from the gas block is mothered inside the extended carrier tube. A return spring and retainer captured by the extended tube brings the B/C home after each cycle.

My 6.8spc Ko-Tonics midlength needs thic mod.

buckmeister

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sounds neat, what kind of stock are you going to go with then, or is it for a pistol? I've been waiting to get a lathe and milling machine to try switching an ar over to a piston system. A member here (VZ58 I think) used a VZ58 gas system and modified it for an ar.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Because of the extended key tube's length (midlength), a pistol build would be impractical and long! I have a mid-length 6.8spc upper now. The carrier should work with it or a 20' barrel. I may contact Kurts Kustom Firearms to see if he will make me a custom block. AR15barrels.com is having trouble over at ARFCOM, or I'd ask him.

buckmeister

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.