Thread: Any Tips for 80% Lower Buffer tube Hole?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Any Tips for 80% Lower Buffer tube Hole?

I have one of these I got from tannery shop, I also have his Tappered Reamer bit and the Monster Tap but have not attempeted to work on it yet.

I have built ARs from 100% lowers and AKs from kits so I have some different experience just not an 80% Lower.

I also have the drilling jig and the bits for those and the tap for the pistol grip but those don't scare me much.

So guys any tips on doing the buffer hole and threads?

I know it has to be straight and centered to work correctly, how do you guys accomplish that?
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

Feedback Score
    Last edited by jandbj; 05-02-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: clarifying link

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Nice thought but I already have a two drilling jigs so I'm not buying another one just to get the back alignment part.

They are from here; CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR15 80% Tooling / Drill Jig

I hadn't found the other type when I bought this one.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Be sure to check the hole for being off center.I bought 2 from tannery shop a few years ago that I dug out recently.The hole was drilled off center and I will have to use a small sanding drum to adjust the position before drilling.

Feedback Score

Go to this site and read EVERYTHING there, especially the BTH reaming section.

Builders Squad Project - Home

This explains some of the problems between the cast and forged lowers that are out there (with pics no less), and his method will absolutely deliver a straight hole for the tap to cut the threads, and how to use a drill press to center and tap perfectly straight holes. The reaming method bases its centerline on the upper you'll be mating the lower to. Its about $50 worth of tooling (shell reamer, etc) if you shop around, but if you're building more than one its a worthwhile investment. Even so, you can always sell the tooling off after using it. I used this method on a National Ord cast receiver that had a buffer tower that was WAY off center. It came out perfect. Rifle runs like a champ.
    "A large caliber is good to have, but its shot PLACEMENT that counts"
    Synweap223

"The way is in training"
    Miyamoto Musashi

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Use a fostner bit that is the same diameter as the hole that needs to be cut out I beleive 1 1/8th inch. It is as easy as pie with a jig. When you place the bit in the hole the bit will not spin unless it sits perfectley straight.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Go to Ray-Vin Technical Pages Read front to back several times and buy 3 forgings.
    If your lucky, you will only need two, because chances are youre going to learn on the first one, maybe two.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.