Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: current source for 80% lowers?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Considering that the companies currently selling them can't keep them in stock .. I'd venture to guess quite a few.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Use gunbroker as your guide...
    GunBroker.com Search Results

Feedback Score

Hi Sprat, I see you mentioned Roderus, are they still in business? I have tried everything I can think of to get hold of them but no answer on emails or phone. The forums are still active but I can't post there either :-( any info you can get me will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron Smith II

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I ordered the Building an AR-15 from a Forging video from Roderus aka DIYguns got an email stating that it is shipping the other day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dropride View Post
    Its just a raw forging, everything needs to be done on it. Machining an AR lower from a forging - pic heavy - Maryland Shooters
    man that is a lot of precision work!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by paulhsu View Post
    man that is a lot of precision work!
    Surprisingly, not as much as you might think.

Take a look at this link:

CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR15 80% Tooling / Drill Jig

This makes 90% of the issues go away. Add a GOOD drill press, and a couple of vises for same.

The 10% part IS hard, but not impossible, That is the magwell part. I did one a few years ago using a cheap drill press. At that time, I could buy the forged slugs for about $14.00 each. I am not sure I would have liked to stake my life on that lower, but the first 4800 rounds worked great.....No issues AT ALL. Still, being the doubting person that I am, I took a sledge hammer to it..... For me, it was a learning experience.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by dropride View Post
    Its just a raw forging, everything needs to be done on it. Machining an AR lower from a forging - pic heavy - Maryland Shooters

I wish I could do that stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Surprisingly, not as much as you might think.

Take a look at this link:

CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR15 80% Tooling / Drill Jig

This makes 90% of the issues go away. Add a GOOD drill press, and a couple of vises for same.

The 10% part IS hard, but not impossible, That is the magwell part. I did one a few years ago using a cheap drill press. At that time, I could buy the forged slugs for about $14.00 each. I am not sure I would have liked to stake my life on that lower, but the first 4800 rounds worked great.....No issues AT ALL. Still, being the doubting person that I am, I took a sledge hammer to it..... For me, it was a learning experience.
    I want to get a GOOD drill press - what should I look for and what should i avoid?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by paulhsu View Post
    I want to get a GOOD drill press - what should I look for and what should i avoid?
    To be honest, my father's old press is a fairly cheap one from Harbor Freight, similar to the one linked below, but 3 speed instead of 5. He bought it about 10 years ago and it still works great for small projects. He recent got a professional one from an estate sale, so I get the old one; which hopefully I'll use to build my lowers.

$89.99 + shipping - 5 Speed Bench Drill Press With 1/2" Keyless Chuck

You can literally spend whatever you want on a drill press, if you're a professional machinist, I could see spending a few hundred dollars on one, otherwise, just buy the basic 5-speed one and it should be good enough to do basic wood and metal working.

Feedback Score

Hey guys.... I've got them. I pick some up on this coming Tuesday (April 8). These are not your run of the mill forgings. Billet parts, cut from a block of 7075 T6. These are legal according to BATFE letter to me March 20th.

I will also have a dedicated 9mm Colt or Rock River Arms style coming out around 4/17/2009. Same for an Olympic Arms Sten mag model. Small batch... first come first served.

Check it out:
    AR-15 Style 80% Completed Lower Receiver at YellowLogic

email me for more info on material and I'd appreciate input on features wanted
    Last edited by bilagain; 04-08-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.