Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: newby kit question

Feedback Score

Default newby kit question

I am looking for a m16 a1 kit. I can't seem to find any complete kits with matching numbers like the ak kits I bought. Do I have to buy everything seperately? Where is the best place to go? The price is of no importance as long as the kit is in good shape. Also can I get a 80% receiver ? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

You can get AR-15 kits from many manufacturers. (M-16 is FA, so that ain't happening)

Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

AR15 Sales

Stag Arms

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

A 80% AR receiver requires quite a bit of tooling and equipment to finish, (a mill at least)

Feedback Score
    5 (78%)

Feedback Score

I would have replied sooner but my computer has been down. What is the difference between an ar15 and an m16a1? I Want to build an ar15 but with Vietnam era furniture and upper. I want the carry handle and military sights. Can you build an ar15 legally using Gi parts as long as it is a semi auto. I have no interest in full auto. I would rather spend more and have something I like than to settle for less.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well the new ar 15s have foward assist, circular handguards, some have removable carry handles, they have ejection port covers, they can have many different style stocks, the m16 a1s have smooth triangular hand guards, no ejection port cover, no foward assist, standard fixed stock, thats all i can think of right now.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by silas2000 View Post
    I am looking for a m16 a1 kit. I can't seem to find any complete kits with matching numbers like the ak kits I bought. Do I have to buy everything seperately? Where is the best place to go? The price is of no importance as long as the kit is in good shape. Also can I get a 80% receiver ? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
    First, there is no such thing as a "Matching Numbers Kit " for the AR15. Since all parts are inter-changable, only the lower receiver has a number.

Vendor's sell mostly everything you will need as a "kit", but that "kit" will not include the lower receiver, which is a FFL item.

80% receivers are a pain in the ass, it will require more work than most are willing to do. Buy a complete 100% receiver and you will save time and aggravation. As for who to buy from, well there are just to many vendors that sell AR15 kits to list. Most of the parts are from the same manufacturer, so just do a search of "AR15 Parts Kits".

As stated above, M16A1 parts are for FA and are not reccomended for non-class 3 use. The ATF has detemined that even the use of some M16 parts in an AR15 is a "Felony". Best advise, don't use M16 parts, period!
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info. I have an m16a1 that was bought and registered before 86 and I have all the paperwork which makes it legal but it is worn out I wanted to use parts from a parts kit to fix it and use the rest to build an ar15 to hunt with. The firing hammer is bad along with the sheer can these parts be gotten? I paid $14,000 for the gun years ago and hate to see it go to waste. If they cant be gotten can I use ar15 parts and have it work as a semi only, and if so can I hunt with it or does the serial# make it so I cant hunt with it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If you have a stamp getting the parts you need should be no problem check out tapco.com for 200$ you can get a FCG that will shoot Semi,Burst and FA. a buddy of mine had a M16A1 he put one in. he said it worked good one of these days ill beg him to take me out with him to try it myself

As for useing AR parts that would be up to you I'm sure it would fire semi ok but why do it you paid for a FA stamp use it man get a Shotgun news mag look for parts for M16A1 in there too

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The AR15 you describe is what people call retro, look for the retro AR forums and they can fill you in on everything you need to build the semi to look like what you are asking for.

If you have the tax stamp and legal rifle yes you can buy the parts to bring it back into spec without issue.

People simply avoid using M16 fire control group parts in their AR15 lower and you will be just fine.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.