Gunco Forums banner

are $400 kits still out there?

3K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  AGreyMan 
#1 ·
It's been about two and a half years since I last built an AR and I just did some looking for kits and have noticed that they have gone up a bunch. Is anyone still selling any new kits for under $400?

#2 ·
As far as I know those days are gone ( Sarco ) is past that now.

#5 ·
Model-1 gets a bad rap for cheap parts, but my brother bought his in 2003 and has had literally thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all. I would not hesitate to buy from them!

#6 ·
Blackthorne does have some complete kits minus the stripped lower for under $400. Blackthorne is the same company as Vulcan, Hesse ect.. that have changed their name every few years to avoid the bad reputation they have earned for themselves. There was a writeup on AR15.com a while ago where a guy bought a kit and critiqued it. Basically he said that parts kits were mostly cosmetically flawed items with uneven finish on the barrel and scratches on the upper receiver and handguards. If it was my money I'd spend the extra $60 and get one from either Model 1 or M&A parts.

#10 ·
7.62 x 39, those are NOT uppers only. They are complete parts kits minus the lower receiver. They have the most choices of parts kits I have seen.

If the parts are seconds only, then someone is making a heck of a lot of seconds.

I have also seen reports by buyers who said they were as good as any other parts kits.

#15 ·
If you want the hassle of your life buy Blackthorne parts sets. Be prepared for ill fitting bolt carrier, mismatching to your lower, trigger slap, etc. Spend a few extra bucks, I like the JT distributing parts myself, but you are going to spend at least $495 for them

#20 ·
If you want the hassle of your life buy Blackthorne parts sets. Be prepared for ill fitting bolt carrier, mismatching to your lower, trigger slap, etc. Spend a few extra bucks, I like the JT distributing parts myself, but you are going to spend at least $495 for them
This, blackthorne seems to be hit and miss, with more miss than hit. Spend a few more dollars, save yourself a lot of headache and go with J&T, Delton or M1S in that order.

#16 ·
I just built three new AR's over the last 2 months - all from mixed sources - 2 LAR lowers (stripped) for $170 each - a DPMS complete lower with sitty plastic collapsible stock for $270, and new complete uppers with Bushmaster barrels ranging from $570 to $650. So it's getting more expensive all the time, and the companies that still have parts in stock (which isn't many) are price gouging. By the way - I had to backorder my Bushmaster barrels - Bushmaster is 16 to 18 weeks behind barrel orders. That is akin to goodyear being out of tires. Crazy shit

#18 ·
I built using a Black Thorn kit no problems with it other then the charging handle had a slight bend in it. I may have put the bend in it from messing around with it not knowing what I was doing.

The gunsmith got it fixed and it runs now no jams when he shot it. I will be shooting it in a few weeks and will have a video. My build total was 630-650 with mags.

#23 ·
a friend has a model 1 kit we put around 1500 rds thur it and the bolt broke in two , right where the pin is , any body know if they warranty there parts ? damm thing tried to feed a round and everything got jammed-up a real pain in the ass to separate the two / lower and upper

#27 ·
I figure that as long as I have the upper and lower shells, I can wait until I find parts available and priced "normaly" So far the longest I have had to wait is a month for Model 1 to send some upper bits (FA, EPC) and 2 months for a MEGA Upper and Lower. Everything else has been within a week or two, including a complete EA lower kit and lower receiver. Just shop around, most places are busting A$$ to keep us happy and in parts.

#28 ·
Essential Arms has the BCG from $120. Usually less than 3 weeks to deliver. They are hard to get on the phone, but when you do, they will take your order right then and there, and will charge your CC when it's ships. I ordered an aluminum stock from them, and 3 days later it arrived! This was less than 2 weeks ago.

I agree, lots of panic buying, but I see that tapering off a tad now. Not as nuts as it was in Dec/Jan. Still not back to normal.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.