Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 17 HMR 3/4 scale ar15

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I got the 15 oz weight from your earlier post, it does seem kinda heavy. I fixed a Remington 597 in 17hmr for a friend a while back. The bolt for it did seem suprisingly heavy for its size. Since you probably can have more than the 2" of bolt travel that the other 17hmr's have, can you use a lighter bolt and a rubber bumper? I found link to a guy who makes custom 10/22 mag bolts for the 17hmr and his are 17 oz.
    Last edited by moleman; 07-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I got the 15 oz from your earlier post! thats ok any one have a 10/22 in magnum?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Going from the old notes when I was trying to add weight to a 10/22 LR bolt:
    The amounts for 1 cubic inch of material:
    Steel = 4.6 ounces
    Lead = 6.5 ounces
    Tungsten = 11.1 ounces

I take that you are using .750 round stock for the bolt. If I did the math right I come up with the same 2 ounces of weight per inch of bolt length using the value for steel from above.

With the 17HMR I feel that there are two problems to deal with. 1. Is keeping the bolt closed during firing. For me just changing the hammer spring to an extra power spring took care of the mushrooming case heads. More pressure to move the hammer rearward helped keep the bolt closed.

2. Is keeping the bolt speed down during recoil. One way is with a heavy bolt. Another is to use one of these to help slow the bolt down. They can be found at McMaster-Carr or probably any industral supply and come in initial force required to depress the plunger from .25 lbs to 16 lbs. One placed in the receiver so that the plunger sticks up into the bolts path will slow the bolt as the bolt presses the plunger down. The only draw back is that the bolt must keep it pressed down during the cycle stroke. If it pops up infront of the bolt the recoil spring might not have enough umph to press it back down. Some guys were using these on the 10/22s to help with problems 1 and 2.

I don't think that I have a standard 22mag spring left. The one I have made up is a standard 22mag with about an inch of another recoil spring added to it. I think I can find the trigger scale and get a reading if you want.

ETA: It's called a spring loaded detent...DOH!
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

that is an idea. I found a site that has 3/4" diameter tungsten discs for soap box racers. I could stack these on the buffer to get the weight right and just use a ruger 10/22mag recoil spring. Start heavy and remove until I have function. My boy is only 4 (turning 5) and I dont want him struggling with a loaded gun and stiff bolt. (he does well with 410 bolt shotgun and a 357mag rifle) so the detent might not be a good idea for him but is def. out of the box and worth thinking on. ER Shaw is sending the barrel early next week and the aluminum for the lower went out today, so things are moving. Just need to get a positive weight on that bolt.

Feedback Score

Thats going to be an awesome rifle.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

the barrel finally came after several months of "we'll check on where it is. Oh its not in stock yet" will get back on this in a few weeks

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Vz, did you figure out the bolt weight? I was thinking of getting a cheap 22mag or 17hmr barrel and making a bolt for a spare ar15 upper I have collecting dust.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I have the barrel and have turned it to fit. but my jobs have been particularly demanding the last 6 months so no real progress. I know with the economy slow I should be thankful but I am considering quitting one.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

This is really cool, have you made any more progress on it?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

no not much, I have been swamped by work, health and other concerns. I do need to get back on it for this Christmas...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.