Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AR-15.22LR CONVERSION UNIT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I was looking for the same thing what I've found is that a .22Lr will work ok in a .223/5.56 barrel but its gets dirty fast I saw kit on model 1 sales site that is a upper that is only .22Lr. it ueses the same mages as the ceiner kit but there is no chance busting your .223 upper it's a little pricey about 400-500 i think but thats on my list over the drop in unit

P.S. form what i read the .22lr will bounce a little in the .223 barrel it sounds like it could mess it up any one heard of this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCol.U.S.M.C. View Post
    I was looking for the same thing what I've found is that a .22Lr will work ok in a .223/5.56 barrel but its gets dirty fast I saw kit on model 1 sales site that is a upper that is only .22Lr. it ueses the same mages as the ceiner kit but there is no chance busting your .223 upper it's a little pricey about 400-500 i think but thats on my list over the drop in unit

P.S. form what i read the .22lr will bounce a little in the .223 barrel it sounds like it could mess it up any one heard of this
    thanks col i'm going to check it out. i dont want to toast a good barrel. it seems to me that the accuracy of the round would also be a factor by shooting .22lr in a .223/.556 barrel.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If I remember correctly 22lr barrel bores are .223" and .223/5.56 barrel bores are .224". I used my dial calipers and a micrometer and mic'd some remington 22lr ammo and it came out to .224, the same as .223/5.56 ammo. Usually though you use a lead bullet .001 over bore size which makes sense. I've had my 22LR unit for over 12 years now and the barrels I shoot 22LR in haven't been trashed by it and I haven't noticed a difference in accuracy after shooting 22LR ammo through them. That being said I wouldn't put the adaptor in a $500 kreiger barrel for shits and giggles. I haven't shot it at more than 50 yards and use it for plinking at cans and steel targets. Suprisingly the report of the 22lr ammo in the ar15 seems quieter than in my 10/22. The only thing I can think of is that some of the gas is getting diverted down the gas tube and doesn't go out the end of the barrel. As far as accuracy goes mine isn't accurate as your barrel is shooting 223/5.56 and it doesn't hit in the same spot. I think part of this is that the chamber adaptor part of this thing is smoothbore. That means the bullet travels for over 1.5" before it even thinks about getting to the rifling. Thats why I don't think they're as accurate. The adaptors that use a regular 22lr barrel should be more accurate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's the M261 kit I have. The 10rnd mags it uses fit inside a standard 223/5.56 mag. I don't know if the high cap mags by big dog or ceiner will work with it though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Here's the M261 kit I have. The 10rnd mags it uses fit inside a standard 223/5.56 mag. I don't know if the high cap mags by big dog or ceiner will work with it though.
    who makes them & how much. i've checked out shotgun news and a bunch of web sights all i can find is the ceiner kit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Its USGI and I got it from SARCO years ago. They still have them for sale from time to time along with the spare parts. It was about $110 with 2 mags back then. You might want to give them a call to see if they have any. I'd like to find out if the high cap mags with it though. About the time you get going real good shooting its time for a mag change.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

oly arms makes an M261 kit too. BDM (Black Dog Machine) makes mags for it too. Also BDM makes some spare parts for the ciener kits. Black Dog Machine LLC - High Capacity Magazines for Ciener© & Olympic M261 kits
    I got my ciener kit from Ballistic Sounds Tactical Supply and got great customer service (and a better price than directly through ciener). Also there is the spikes 22 kit, and some others that are available (some need a 22lr barrel others have the chamber insert for the 223/5.56 chamber.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sniper69 View Post
    oly arms makes an M261 kit too. BDM (Black Dog Machine) makes mags for it too. Also BDM makes some spare parts for the ciener kits. Black Dog Machine LLC - High Capacity Magazines for Ciener© & Olympic M261 kits
    I got my ciener kit from Ballistic Sounds Tactical Supply and got great customer service (and a better price than directly through ciener). Also there is the spikes 22 kit, and some others that are available (some need a 22lr barrel others have the chamber insert for the 223/5.56 chamber.
    thanks sniper69, im going to order my ciener kit from bsts also.$199.00 i should be able to make it pay off in a short time with the money i save on ammo.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akakjack425 View Post
    thanks sniper69, im going to order my ciener kit from bsts also.$199.00 i should be able to make it pay off in a short time with the money i save on ammo.
    true the money saved on ammo is what I used for justification to get mine. I have already saved more than what I paid for my ciener kit. I use the federal bulk pack ammo from walmart with no problems. With the black dog machine mags I have used both the skinny 1st generation and the later fullbody mags with no problems. Sometimes you can find people selling the skinny mags for a good price (either slightly used or even sometimes new) because they want the full body mags. For me, I have both - but for just at the range plinking and trying to save money, the skinny mags are fine.

"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score

Talking

CMMG makes a 22lr conversion unit now, you can get it from them or Brownells. Works great, better than the Ceiner. I have both and the CMMG has 500 rds thru it and my Stag with no problems. The Ceiner had some FTE issues. Used BDM mags with both, they are a great mag and look like a regular AR mag. Spikes is coming out with a conversion unit that is plated so less need to lube heavy. Me I use graphite grease or grease that I use on the garands. Just put it on the rails, works for me. They are a lot of fun to shoot and cheap compared to 5.56. When I am thru I run a couple of 5.56 clips thru it to blow out the gas tube. The way ammo costs now you can't afford not to get one if you like to shoot your AR.
    "Sometimes for King, always for Country"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.