Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Build buy AR 15?

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by doug123 View Post
    I would like to get a Colt AR 15. I don't know much about building one. I see the cost for one is about 1.2K. What is the cost to build and how involved is the build? I guess under these conditions sooner is better then later.
    Hey, bro, welcome to the machine. The ARs go together so easy it's almost comical. You drop the bits & pieces in a shoebox and shake 'em up, and the cussed thing assembles itself. Well, not really, but almost. There are excellent tutorials in these forums, and many guys willing to troubleshoot and give encouragement. You might need a few cheap tools: pin punch(s) ' a small mallett, some masking tape; little stuff like that. You can make the thing to install the detent spring and takedown pin out of a piece of quarter inch mild steel rod. You can get good parts and kits from numerous vendors. You can shop around for a stripped lower. My regular FFL guy is waiting for ones he ordered 8-10 wweeks ago. Another local FFL has a shitload of receivers but they are $50 and $70 more this week scince his shipment arrived. You absolutely must scrounge up a receiver as soon as you can get out and shop around. You cannot screw it up; the things are so precise and well engineered, you will have good results. Don't wait. Do it now. It is so rewarding it's sick. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The only problem right now, if you want to build, is getting a barrel (assuming you install the barrel yourself). Buddy waited 4 months for a barreled upper assembly. You can find uppers at gun shows, but they're m4gery length, and run $550 and up - without the bolt carrier and bolt. I saw a parts kit for $130 the other day at a show, and a stripped lower was $180 (cheapest one I saw). Add in everything, and you're talking over 1000 - plus some potentially long wait times.
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

"FREEDOM FOREVER !!" james ward's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I like: Bushmaster , DPMS , & Rock River Arms !!! The only big thing with Colt is, that some of there parts are oddball sized. So, you can't just find parts anywhere.

Feedback Score

I built two about 6 months ago before parts were really scarce, a 16 and a 20. I decided I was going to build mine to save some loot. I was a little hesitant when I opened up the parts group and saw all of the little springs and stuff, but with a little research they went together pretty easy. The receivers were ordered and the rest of the parts were aquired at a show, saved alot on shipping that way. The uppers were bought already assembled as a kit and included bolt, carrier, and furniture. After they were put together I figured up the cost and I ended up saving about $800 between the two, as opposed to buying them local at a show or local shop. That saved money allowed me to buy Pmags, and some other items.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.