Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build buy AR 15?

Feedback Score

Default Build buy AR 15?

I would like to get a Colt AR 15. I don't know much about building one. I see the cost for one is about 1.2K. What is the cost to build and how involved is the build? I guess under these conditions sooner is better then later.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you can tighten a screw and hammer in a roll pin you can handle putting an ar15 together. Most of the kits now have the barrel already screwed into the upper receiver which is the only thing you need a specialized $25 wrench for. It can be a lot cheaper to put one together yourself. Its not hard to put one together for as low as $550-650 ish (for non colt) depending on what model and who you get your kit and receiver from.

Feedback Score

Is it possible to get a colt made reciever to build on? Is colt the best qualitity?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've seen the colt receivers for sale and they are very good quality as you'd expect from colt. But the problem you'll run into is you're paying for the colt name and the colt receivers I've seen for sale were around the $300 mark. I'd be more picky about the barrel and the bolt/carrier assembly rather than who made the lower. There are some older lowers out there that people have had problems with, but stick with a well known name and you shouldn't have any trouble. I have put together guns using lowers by: eagle arms; DPMS; Olympic;and bushmaster. I didn't run into any problems with any of the lowers on those guns. I'd stay away from the cast receivers and stick with a forged or billet one.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Might want to go visit over at;
    AR15.COM
    There is a huge abundance of information regarding AR15 rifles including products, building, who are the best vendors to buy from on and on and on.
    There are folks here at Gunco that know a great deal on the subject, and in addition, AR15.com is an excellent source for all that is AR15. Great source for all.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There is a wealth of info at ar15.com. like Illya Kuryakin said, its well worth checking out. Toten Kopf on this sight is making a cd on building the ar15 http://www.gunco.net/forums/f262/ar1...l-parts-40265/

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

It took me about 10-15 minutes to put this together. Del-Ton upper with a DoubleStar lower. Total cost $575.00

It shoots great, no problems. It's not a $1500.00 laser guided, bo-shanked, fully encapsulated, red dotted, SEAL tested, M4 but I don't need all that stuff. Just a good shooting carbine.

And yes, I'm working off saw horses, as my shop is in progress and the "real" work benches aren't set up yet (I hate working like this!!).

This is the rifle/carbine that I'll be using for my CD. It will be disassembled down to iddy-bitty pieces and then re-assembled for the CD. Loads of fun here.
    Last edited by Toten Kopf; 11-06-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: To Correct Spelling
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Oh, I have had/fired many different brands from Colt to Bushmaster to DPMS to Olympic Arms (SGW) to DoubleStar and really didn't notice any difference between them (except the price).

Of course when you start to get into match grade stuff, well, some items are very superior to others. Like triggers, barrels, sights and what not. In this category, you can spend $300+ for a trigger, $700+ for a barrel, and $350+ for sights.

I have a "match" AR15 in 6x45 caliber and I don't want to remember how much I have into it. But it will punch out the "X" ring at 600 yards and that is what it was designed to do. Even though it is very accurate, I wouldn't want to have to carry it around out in the field, it's just to heavy.
    Last edited by Toten Kopf; 11-10-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Rockriverarms is getting as expensive as Colt almost now. However, a complete 5.56, AR15 is the least expensive to make up.

But, I would do something up now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i've built two so far, one dpms & one cmmg. both of them from stripped receivers, stripped uppers, and barrels. my dpms is a a3 m4 16" hbar it was my first ar build and gave me alot of satisfaction by building it myself. stock without all the extra goodies i only spent $750.00 i've put another $350.00 into it with flip up front and rear sights and two piece quad rail hand gaurd. i'am planning to install a carbine length free float tube on it instead of the two piece and a aimpoint scope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.