Thread: Barrel extension

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Barrel extension

While I don't consider myself a noob, I did something stupid. I bought a barrel from Sarco that did not have the extension on it. I bought an extension figuring it shouldn't be too hard to put on. I have since come to realize that it is probably going to be quite difficult to get the sight allignment and timing done correctly. Any advice or should I just start looking for another barrel?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've looked into this and it seems about the best solution would be to take it to a gun show and find someone that has a large selection of new/used barrel extension and find one that goes hand tight to about the 10:30- 11 o'clock position. I've seen these barrels for sale for a while and I have to wonder why anyone would take a barrel extension off in the first place. If they have the sights and gas hole drilled then they've had a barrel extension on at some point since these steps are done after the extension is put on. The only thing I can come up with is that it didn't headspace correctly in the first place or there is a problem with the bore. If its a headspace problem, then you'll most likely need a lathe, and/or chamber reamer (if its not chrome lined). You could always screw on a extension verify its headspace, then cut it off at the gas port and make a pistol barrel out of it. I don't like the idea of plugging the gas port and drilling a new one and new sight base holes. All of these options seem like they're more trouble than they're worth to me though.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

The tool for installing the barrel extension is going to cost about $50.00+, I have plenty of extensions but I haven't removed them from the stubs yet (to many other things going on).

Trying to find an extension that times correctly is going to be very difficult at best.

If it were me, I might try to find one of my extensions that would time correctly but that's only because I have many of them. About the only other choice you have is...sell the barrel (you won't get much for it) you have and let someone else worry about trying to time it and buy a new barrel.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think one AR-smith uses a welded over setscrew to close the old gas hole. That would solve the timing issue.

buckmeister

Feedback Score

Default barrel extension from hell

Trust me ,barrel extensions are a major B$#$* to get on . I also got one of sarco's "m4" bare barrel specials and put an extension on with the brownells barrel extension wrench and viceblocks. Trust me on this , I don't want to do this again anytime soon . It chambers a round and doesn't bind up any with the timing of the bolt carrier assembly when assembled on my a2 upper. Both the barrel extension pin and my barrel gas hole line up like they are supposed to aswell . Happy Holidays Guy's !
    w.c.

Feedback Score

Not a happy camper . looks like I need either an M4 extension or need to torque the extension on further . Still have the extension wrench . will keep posted .
    w.c.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've only ever put one on and it was a pain in the ... Does your barrel have too much headspace?

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.