Thread: Compensator question....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Compensator question....

I have a Levang compensator and would like to put it on a 6mm/223 AR barrel. How much would the hole in the end of the compensator have to be opened up to compensate for the extra .020" bullet diameter? I've been told that there must be a .020 air gap between the bullet and the mouth of the compensator, but I don't know for a fact. Any help would be appreciated.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I measured my levang comp muzzle opening and I got .245". Since the .223 is actually .224" that would be pretty close to the .020" you spoke of. I'd have it done on a lathe so you know the hole is dead nuts centered. Since you're 6mm is .243" you're looking to get as close to .263" as you can. I've had those 6mm-223 barrels on and off for about 18 years. All have been sub 1/4" barrels on a good day with handloads. Like an idiot I sold one about 2-3 years ago that was my most accurate one so far. I just got one from my buddy that is almost as accurate to replace it though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Thanks for the help. I like the caliber too and have had mine about as long as you have. BTW I paid $60 for my 24" barrel at a gun show. It was a great investment!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You got me beat. I think I paid around $250 for my 20" ultra match I sold and $50 for this used 24". I bought this last one for a light recoil deer rifle for my son to use during the youth deer season this comming fall. For does under 75 yards it should be fine with a heavy nosler partition or one of the barnes x bullets. But first he has to prove he can keep them in the kill zone out to 100yds. I may cut it down to 20 or 22" also.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.