Thread: Black Thorn kit review

Feedback Score

Default Black Thorn kit review

Hey everyone I thought I would post a video of my kit that I put together and finally got to shoot. The AR was easy to build and fun to shoot just wish I could afford more ammo.

The only problem I had with the AR was the bolt release. I think it has to much finish either on the reciever or the part it self. I know it was tight fitting it in the reciever when I put it together.

The parts I used-

Lower Reciever- Essential Arms

Upper Parats- Full upper with lower parts from akpartskits.com. This is a Black Thorn M4 upper.

Rear Site- A2 peep site from Centerfire Systems, Inc. - Your Home For Ammo, Firearms, Magazines, and Gun Accessories . The site worked great.

Magazines- USGI mags a few are D&H, Okay, Colt and one that im not sure of.

Video review of the kit-

YouTube - AR-15 Black Thorn Kit Review

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I put one of thier 20-inch models together last month on a DPMS lower with Buis rear site total invested was 550.00 I already had magazines
    Only short coming I could see was thier lower parts kits are not as good a quality as others (DPMS) and I had to do some fitting still only took about and hour to slap it together and it passes a function check and feeds dummy rounds and ejects same. Haven't had the chance to give mine a run at the range been to cold but I will soon.
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Akfite View Post
    I put one of thier 20-inch models together last month on a DPMS lower with Buis rear site total invested was 550.00 I already had magazines
    Only short coming I could see was thier lower parts kits are not as good a quality as others (DPMS) and I had to do some fitting still only took about and hour to slap it together and it passes a function check and feeds dummy rounds and ejects same. Haven't had the chance to give mine a run at the range been to cold but I will soon.
    Thats awesome man good to hear someone is has had good luck with them as well. My lower kit went in good other then the bolt release thats the only issuie with mine.

The mags drove the price up fast and some I traded for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good review and nice looking shooter. One warning about Wolf/Tiger/Bear and other steel cased ammo that I've heard is that it tends to chew up your ejector, during prolonged use; brass being a softer metal doesn't have the issue.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vbrtrmn View Post
    Good review and nice looking shooter. One warning about Wolf/Tiger/Bear and other steel cased ammo that I've heard is that it tends to chew up your ejector, during prolonged use; brass being a softer metal doesn't have the issue.
    I'd be more worried about the extractor wearing before the ejector, but a buddy of mine asked me about barrel wear years ago from the copper coated steel bullets. This is what I told him. How much are you saving by using wolf ect over the cheapest brass cased surplus you can find? At the time it was about $70 per 1000 when wolf was $100 per thousand. How much does a new barrel cost? About $140. So it was worth it for him to shoot wolf even if it wore his barrel out faster because in the long run he would save enough to buy another one. A new complete extractor and ejector is about $20. I'd hope you'd save that much over brass cased ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Moleman is correct... extractor, not ejector.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Akfite View Post
    ... I had to do some fitting still only took about and hour to slap it together ...
    What did you have to "fit"?? I got 2, a M4 and standard 20" and the uppers didn't fit any of the 3 lowers I have. Other uppers have always been fine.

Just curious.

Feedback Score

I had to stone the magazine catch to fit into the DPMS lowers slot that I used and the trigger pin and hammer pins where really tighter than they should be so I rolled then on emery paper to smooth them out. other than that nothing else it went together fine after that. Note I have not fired this one yet since I put it together been working on a DPMS 308 that I lucked into.
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Olympicarmsfan:

How is the rifle holding up? Any probems with it so far?

Thanks for any additional info you might be able to share.

Stay Safe,
    AGreyMan

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Clad steel bullets are made from a steel softer than barrels. No significant wear will happen using them over gilding metal clad lead core bullets.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.