Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for a barreled upper.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Talking Need suggestions for a barreled upper. ---Pictures of My Uppers Added---.

So I have never had an AR but just found a great trade and now will soon have my first AR lower. It is a Century Lower made by Olympic with Colt internals. I traded for a Polish Underfolder Stock and trunnion.

I know nothing about AR's so I would like some suggestions for a good barrled upper that is not to costly but good quality. I am thinking that I like the A4 style and I have seen kits for these but since I have a mostly complete lower I don't think I need a kit. (needs a stock).

Thanks,
    Pat

Updated - Hey guys well I have been looking around and I pinged a few friends who I know were into AR's and this is what I ended up with.

Busmaster Piston Upper I got off AR15.com used with low round count.
    VLTOR MUR-1A with a 20 national match bushmaster bull barrel

My friend was building the Vltor upper but decided to buy some new Machine equipment so he sold it to me to offset his new equipment.

So looks like a good start. Thanks for all your help!

Pat

Last edited by patjsimpson; 02-20-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good trade! I'd take the lower to a gun show and match it up with an upper of your choice so that it has minimal slop in the upper to lower fit and find yourself a good barrel from model 1, delton, ect. Its not hard to tighten up the barrel nut but you will need a wrench.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

CMMG makes some really nice barrels. I'm looking at putting a M4-type together with a 14.7 inch barrel with an A2 bird cage permanently attached. I really don't need a 'Izzy' or 'Phantom', FH plus I kind of like having the bayonet accessory functional, though I know I will never use it. LOL.

Another Day In Paradise DiabloII's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JimE2 View Post
    CMMG makes some really nice barrels. I'm looking at putting a M4-type together with a 14.7 inch barrel with an A2 bird cage permanently attached. I really don't need a 'Izzy' or 'Phantom', FH plus I kind of like having the bayonet accessory functional, though I know I will never use it. LOL.

+1 on cmmg uppers

but if you order now you might have to wait a long ,long, long time to get but in the end it will be worth it and i would go with the mid length gas system

to my experience i prefer the mid length as to the carbine
    buying up all the guns and ammo i can just to PISS OFF the douche bag liberals

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I have been hearing good things about the gas piston conversions for the AR15. You guys have any thoughts on these? Since I am building I was thinking about just building it up with one of these. I saw a kit for around $250.

Pat

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have a hunting buddy [USMC] that modified some of his ARs to gas piston. Some things to consider: depending on the brand and set up, your standard hand guards won't fit. You pretty much are committing to a quad rail front hand guard. Also, be sure to take the rings off the bolt, otherwise you run a good chance of jamming a live round in an 'out of battery' state, with almost NO way to remove it safely. This happened to my hunting buddy. Scared us pretty good. BCG would not fully engage, round in barrel and would not release. Took two Marines, and a BFH to get that bolt to release. Seriously.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Updated with pictures of my new uppers.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Do you have a golden horseshoe up your ass? Your good deal just got a lot better. Congrats on the uppers, you'll have to give us a range report.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Yeah I am feeling pretty lucky..

I got the bushmaster for 895 shipped... Retail on that one is around 1100+
    the Vltor NM upper I picked up for 500 with no BCG or charging handle (New unused)
    I have ordered a spikes tactical NM chromed BCG for $250 but still looking for a charging handle. I should be able to pick up one for around 40 I think and that would put total cost at $790 for that upper.

I am thinking I can use the one on my other upper till I find one for it. Going to the Puyallup gun show tomorrow so maybe I will find one there.

My boss and I are thinking of heading to the range sometime next week so I will report back when I have tried them out.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Pat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.