Gunco Forums banner

My rockin deal "I think"....

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  patjsimpson 
#1 ·
Ok well here is the great deal I was telling you about. I got this on trade for a full Polish Underfolder assembly with trunnion.

So I was wondering what you guys can tell me about it from these pictures. As I said before I don't have much experiecne with AR-15 but I am excited to have at least one.

Thanks,
Pat

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a good trade. Was it a new lower? Because it doesn't look like it has any finish wear on the top of the buffer tube threaded hole, or where the upper receiver would touch the lower. Get yourself: a complete upper; complete stock of your choice(stock, buffer tube, spring and buffer); a rear take down pin,detent and spring; buffer retainer and spring. It may be cheaper to buy a kit and then sell the parts you don't use.

#3 · (Edited)
He told me he had an upper on it and only fired a few mags through it. Doesn't seem to have much usage. Now I just have to decide what to get... so many options.

One question I have is around pre and post-ban uppers. First of all can my lower use either or both? I believe mine is a post-ban receiver but I am not posative. Are there any issues with pre-ban stuff on a post-ban receiver since the AWB expired?

Thanks
pat

#4 ·
The federal assault weapons ban expired several years ago. Some states adopted a state assault weapons ban and those may not of so check your state laws to see if that applies to you. If there's no state law then you can put whatever one on you want as they both fit. You want the ones with the standard small front takedown pin. You can use the big ones with an adaptor, but they're not cheaper anymore so why bother.

#5 ·
Nice Job Pat. Those were selling for big bucks at last weeks gun show! Decide which upper you want (and the other parts) and get them on order. I was quoted 8 weeks yesterday on a barrel extensioin. DMPS is out 6 - 8 months on uppers. So, unfortunately, the only good advice I can give you is "get in line".
Obama's boost to the economy is only working in the gun sales area!!!!
He has created a buying frenzy!!! Also, get plenty of ammo!
You'll love the AR platform!
Bill

#6 ·
I'm not familiar with the brand lower, but suspect it to be made by the same forgings, that many of the other well known makers use. Funny thing about ARs, they are branded, and famous names demand higher prices. But honestly, the lower is a generic part. The upper with the barrel is where all the precision takes place. Get a good upper, and you can have a real tack driver. The lower is only the beginning...

#7 ·
Yeah no kidding on getting in line. Just did some looking around for an upper and backorder was a minimim of 60 days for most places 12 / 16 weeks for the one that I was most interested in.

The lower was actually made by Olympic Arms In Olympia Wa. But all warranty is through Century Arms who commissioned the Receivers apparently.

#10 ·
century arms? i haven't handled or built any on their lowers. it looks like a forging. since it is assembled this makes it easy to do a function check on it.

it is probably made by some company that has a "big name" for century. it looks like a good one to me. i think you got a decent deal.

#12 ·
I found a nice bushmaster piston based upper. Just finished building my second one with an upper I got from my friend. It is a spikes tactical lower with Vltor MUR-1A upper and a bushmaster bull barrel with a Youngs national match BCG and a RRA 2 stage trigger. Super happy with both of them but I would like to get a few more things for them. like miad grips and maybe freefloat tubes for them.

Forgot to mention they are both .223.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.