Thread: building 5.45 ar?

tinkerer extraordinaire Mustangdude20's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default building 5.45 ar?

is this a plausible solution to not wanting to buy an upper assembly? i know the barrel part will be fine i'm just concerned about the bolt.... anyone know where i could buy one or would machining the face be an acceptable solution? its only approx. .020 difference any input would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score

Machining the bolt face should work. You could get a S&W bolt or from Alexander Arms. The hammer spring is heavier for the less sensitive primers. Then you still need a barrel. 22 rimfire bores are about right but the rifling twist is too slow.

Feedback Score

You can use a ak74 barrel as a liner, or a barrel blank and turn it [on a lathe] into a AR barrel, there is this one guy on FALfiles, Stimpsonjcat that made one before all the companies started making them, register over there if you have to to see the forums, and search something like "5.45 AR" or something...

Feedback Score

cool cool tried to find stimpsonjcat's and couldn't but i was planning on buying a new 5.45 chromelined ak74 barrel and just turning the journal to fit the gasblock and threading it for the barrel extension. I figured that i would be able to make the ak74 barrel work with a little turning and some work.

thanks for all the help guys

Feedback Score

If you can turn a barrel it shouldn't be a problem. The 5.56 bolt should open up without any trouble.

Feedback Score

good thats exactly what i was hoping for woot woot $200 dollar 5.45 here i come

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.