Thread: Handguard removal

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Handguard removal

Anyone have some proven tricks to remove super tight handguard without marring it ? It's a freefloat Alum. HG on a Model 1 sales upper.
    Strap wrench no workie......................this sucker is on there super tight.
    They claim they never use loctite, but someone might have overtightened and the threads have galled or seized to the barrel nut.
    I had enough pressure on that HG to almost break the barrelnut loose but nada.........................
    Need some help here guys. Thanks

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If its their 2 piece handguard then remove your front sight/gas block and gas tube then the handguard tube. You can then use the 3 pins on a regular barrel nut wrench to stick in the front of the handguard barrel nut and turn it out. If you mar the front it will be hidden under the handguard tube when you put it back on. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    If its their 2 piece handguard then remove your front sight/gas block and gas tube then the handguard tube. You can then use the 3 pins on a regular barrel nut wrench to stick in the front of the handguard barrel nut and turn it out. If you mar the front it will be hidden under the handguard tube when you put it back on. Hope this helps.
    This is a 1 pc. handguard that screws on to the barrel nut. I'm trying to get the handguard off so i can remove the barrel nut and barrel. Gas block and tube are off. There is no fr. sight.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Have you already soaked it with Break Free for awhile?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

No, might try some Kroil or PB Blaster though...................

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Years ago the 1 piece was all you could get. If a strap isn't cutting it you can get a dpms ff handguard wrench. It basically a 1/4" section of a large pipe cut like a "C" with two allen screws at the ends and a handle welded in the middle. I'll see if I can dig mine out. You most likely will leave indentations of the screw pattern in the gas holes in the back. The model-1 sales ff tubes I've taken off have all been on super tight also.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.