Gunco Forums banner

swap recievers or keep it stock?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  laphua 
#1 ·
This is more of a whats it worth type question.
Ive got a century AR15 I think it says centurion 15. the reciever says olympic arms but its definetly stamped centurion. its a post ban with the soldered flash suppressor, triangle foregrip, the old school A1 buttstock. basically looks like any of the M16's in any old vietnam movie.
I also bought a dpms stripped reciever. I thought about building another AR15.
I read elsewhere where century doesnt have the best all around reputation. So the question is. would it make sense to swap out the lowers and sell the century/olympic reciever? or just leave it as is and sell the dpms reciever for what I have into it? ($135). Jim

#2 ·
Does it work fine? Other than assemble the parts it sounds like they didn't make any of the parts in your gun. I'd just keep it as it is as I'd bet it was built with a surplus israeli m16 parts kit. Then build yourself another gun with the dpms lower.

#3 ·
it shoots great. its just that I ordered a lower parts kit in december and was told by del ton that it could take a year before they get it shipped! And the more I think about it. Im thinking Id rather get another AK before I go and purchase a upper. jim

#4 ·
there are plenty of places with parts to finish up any AR lower. the only thing that is in real short supply is barrels and complete kits. but you can get pretty much everything else pretty easy.

i would say if the rifle shoots good. don't jam or have problems-- why would you want to change the lower out other than you just don't like the name or roll mark? i think century used mil-surplus USGI uppers and olympic and possibly other makes of lowers. nothing wrong with that. there are probably no century made parts on the rifle to begin with--and the likely only oly part is the lower--that don't sound bad at all to me.

keep it, shoot it--buy a carbine upper and then build the DPMS--LOL

#6 ·
i think century used mil-surplus USGI uppers and olympic and possibly other makes of lowers. nothing wrong with that. there are probably no century made parts on the rifle to begin with--and the likely only oly part is the lower--that don't sound bad at all to me.
I've got one and that's exactly what they are.
I've been shooting mine for over ten years with no problems of any kind.

#5 ·
I emailed del ton earlier this week, they still have no ship date on the lower parts kit. I emailed again tonight to see about just cancelling the order, if midway has them in stock for 58 bucks. I cant see waiting until december or whenever for them to get around to sending me a kit I ordered LAST december. Jim

#8 ·
I'd keep the gun as is and use the other lower to build/assemble another ar-15. Then you could have two. Or you could buy a dedicated .22LR upper and have a fun plinker to practice with without breaking the bank on ammo costs. :)

#9 ·
Since the AR platform is "modular", I would build up the second receiver as a collapsable stock version, then with multiple uppers you could swap between the two lowers and can have virtually any configuration you could want. I'm kinda partial to the "CAR-15" upper on an A2 lower myself, looks kinda weird but handles really well.

#10 ·
I did buy a collapsable stock for it. Ive got a few projects going right now.
yugo M64 that I still havent drilled the holes for the trigger and hammer
71 el camino, I just dropped a 454 and having starter issues.
72 honda CT70 minibike (got it running) now to buy cables, etc
83 honda ATC70.
Just to name a few projects, so the AR is probably going to go on the back burner for awhile. jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.