Gunco Forums banner

m4 type upper complete $375?

5K views 81 replies 19 participants last post by  ace_31 
#1 ·
Custom 16 Inch 1x9 Chrome Moly M4 Flat Top Upper 4 Rail FF Handguard - Special!

now be aware that this is sort of an oddball deal as the gas port is 3/8ths inch to far out. but for the $$ this ain't a bad deal if your in the market for a complete upper with charging handle and bolt carrier group.

it has some UTG railed hanguards if your into that stuff. this set up has to use a float tube or rails due to the odd gas port location.

i would pick up one of these myself but i'm low on cash$$$ like everybody else.:)

#8 ·
If I understand this correctly, the whole gas system (gas port, gas block, and gas tube) are 3/8" forward of where they should be. I wonder if there's going to be reliability issues since 3/8" less of the gas tube is inside the gas key?

#9 ·
They said they assured these are reliable firing. So, I am not too worried about it, if there is a problem I am sure I can fix it... the gas tube seems like something that could be fabricated from a stainless brake line...

We'll find out soon enough.

Mark

#15 ·
Why don't you like the AR?

I think it's a cool little platform.

There are things that frustrate me with it too, but not enough to make me want to abandon the platform... especially now that I have an SBR lower which provides a great deal of flexibility, it's my one rifle that can do it all.

I can run the following all off one lower.

.50 Beowulf
.223/5.56 in 7.5" both SBR and Pistol* /10.5" SBR and Pistol*/16" Std/20" HBAR/24" Varmit
5.7mm 11" SBR and Pistol*
7.62x25mm (pending delivery)

I can't do this with any other platform. I find attractive about the platform and I think this is what keeps me in the AR platform...

Mark

* - Yes, I know that an SBR is still an SBR even if it looks like a pistol and that you cannot make a pistol out of a rifle receiver. I wouldn't do that.

#17 ·
Why don't you like the AR?
I think it's a cool little platform.
The concept of it is a great idea, as you mentioned it's so modular. Pop out a couple pins and change the upper to have a completely different firearm, whether it's a different caliber or for different purposes, self defense, range or just plinking fun.
I've tried quite a few different setups too (it's nice having friends at the range) and it just isn't that appealing to me.

#27 ·
I just received it.
The gas tube fully engages the key. The only complaint I have (not really a complaint, more of an observation) is that it is very stiff. It seems to be mostly due to the fit of the charging handle. Nothing a little polishing wont take care of.

Gotta give them props on the shipping, ordered on Friday, received on Monday.

#31 ·
OK, Now that I am home I got a chance to compare it to another of my ARs. The gas tube is shorter by right around 3/8", but it still engages the key by about 1/2". I can see that mine has been test fired just as they claim, so I assume it functions correctly. If there ever was an issue I would just put a mid length tube in it. I may just do it anyway, they're only $11.70 with the C&R discount, $15 if you don't have one.

BROWNELLS : DPMS : Mid-Length Gas Tube, only (231-000-244) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.