Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Built my first lower today

Feedback Score

Default Built my first lower today

Ive been kicking the idea of just getting rid of the lower and move on. I found out we have a newer gun store, so it was a perfect excuse to go and pick up a lpk and check the store out. The kit was a bit more that mail order, but the guys running it were knowledgeable, and I like to try to buy local. ($69 bucks for the kit). I get the thing home and download the direction from here. As I put the thing together, I realize its got 2 pivot pins and 0 take down pin.
    It was nice to be able to pick up the phone, explain the situation, the guy told me no problem, just bring the pins and they would exchange one for me!
    I was able to get home and finish up, If it happened by mail, I think I'd be waiting a week. Jim

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Its not to bad is it? I've put together lego starwars stuff for my kids that was much more involved than putting an ar together.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score

ive been looking at that for a week, Ive actually got it in my shopping cart, I just have to convince myself to spend the money. jim

Feedback Score

last question on the upper mentioned above. If I were to buy it, Exactly what am I buying?
    I read the description. and as a total novice, it's just very vague, I see the rails on the foregrip. and a rail on the reciever. If I wanted iron sites, I see I need to order both front and back, or just put on a scope and call it good. So can someone give me a AR15 101 in simple terms.
    My other AR, I picked up in trade, so its what it is. basically a A2 with the triangle front grip, its a 20 inch that looks just like what you see in the vietnam movies, Jim

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It is a complete upper assembly minus any iron sights. Drop it on, push in the pins, and shoot. The handguard has 4 rails on it for mounting accessories, the receiver has a rail for mounting a scope or iron sights/removeable carry handle with sights and the front gas block has a rail for mounting a front sight. The gas system is non-standard so normal handguards won't work, you're stuck with the one piece "free floated" designs that do not touch the bbl.

An AR15 is essentially "modular" in that the lower is just the trigger group and a magwell, the upper is where all the "action" takes place. Swap on a different upper you can change bbl length, caliber, etc. A "complete" upper would have the bolt and carrier, as well as the charging handle included. Some people, to save money, buy incomplete uppers and swap one set of "innards" between multiple uppers, caliber allowing of course.

Feedback Score

thanks for the info Kernel, so all in all it seems like a decent deal and decent upper for the money? I think im going to "pull the trigger" and order one today.
    Having a complete lower without a upper is like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the bread. jim

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
    last question on the upper mentioned above. If I were to buy it, Exactly what am I buying?
    I read the description. and as a total novice, it's just very vague, I see the rails on the foregrip. and a rail on the reciever. If I wanted iron sites, I see I need to order both front and back, or just put on a scope and call it good. So can someone give me a AR15 101 in simple terms.
    My other AR, I picked up in trade, so its what it is. basically a A2 with the triangle front grip, its a 20 inch that looks just like what you see in the vietnam movies, Jim

I took mine out yesterday and it shot very well. I was pretty happy with it. I threw a garbage scope on it and even without a good zero I was in the ball park at 300 yards. That's pretty decent for just grabbing a scope at random and throwing it on there!

So if you had any fears about this upper, I wouldn't anymore... worked great. So, everything is included other than optics/sites. My $30 score and $30 red dot did just fine on it.

Mark

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sounds like a good deal, considering today's prices. Last AR I built cost about $450 for everything and I thought that was high!

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info guys. I went and ordered it 5 minutes ago! went with the 30 dollar red dot scope, and a accuwedge.
    375 for the upper
    2 for the wedge
    70 for the lpk
    130 for the lower reciever
    30 for the stock
    30 for the scope
    637 for the grand total. And its all new! Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.