Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buffer tube dimensions???

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'd leave it stainless. You're not going to see another one I bet (unless you make it). Make sure you have a car length buffer and buffer spring before you go shoot it. The buffer limits how far back the bolt carrier can go to keep it from striking the back of the charging handle and front of the buffer tube area.

Feedback Score

Thats one thing im worried about I have the car buffer and spring and also made the tube bore depth the the 7'' like you said but there aren't any threads its a press fit so theres no adjustment unless I take the shoulder back or shim the tube. Im going to weld a tab on the tube and drill/tap the buffer mount to retain it. I had to do this cause while milling the mount it pulled up and egg shaped the hole so I took it out to a larger size and matched the tube to it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 7" bore (for the car buffer) starts at the top front of your buffer tube retaining block. If you push your buffer and bolt carrier down the buffer tube, you should have around 3/16"-1/4" before the back of the gas key hits the buffer tube/receiver area. That gives the rubber bumper on the back of the buffer some room to squish down and slow the bolt if it gets that far back.

Feedback Score

Well I just checked it and theres only .088 before it strikes the carriers so I guess Ill have to take the shoulder back some.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just glue a delrin or aluminum disk the correct size as the correction you need on the inside bottem of the tube. The spring will keep it place if you don't glue it.

Feedback Score

Well my stock finally came in today and I measured the opening and its 1.200 what the hell. So much for manufacturers dimensions.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 1.2" diameter through hole on the stock is the same as what I've got for the stock that I gave you the dimentions on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Ok, my car tube is .990" inside diameter, 1.163" outside diameter (there are two diameters, a comercial one and a mil spec one so check your stock when it comes), 7" deep bore, 7-1/4" long, the stock mounting rail is .480" wide, 4-7/8" long with the front 1/2" tapering to the tube, and .315" tall (1.478" total heigth). There is an inner slot that is 3-1/2" long, .325" wide, .145" deep. In the inner slot there are blind holes that the stock locking pin locks into. There is one at the front of the slot, one at the back, and between 3-6 total blind holes that are .3" in diameter and .160" deep as measured from the bottem of the slot they're in. I'll get some pics up in the morning. You may want to wait until you get your stock to make the tube as most of them rattle and I can't help but think if they were slightly oversize it would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by joezx10r View Post
    Well my stock finally came in today and I measured the opening and its 1.200 what the hell. So much for manufacturers dimensions.
    What did your buffer tube O.D. end up at? Most of them are fitted pretty loose and have a rattle to them unless you get one of magpull ones. With the 1.163" buffer tube and 1.2" stock, I have roughly .037" of slop in the fit. Thats why I said yo may want to wait until you have your stock in hand to make it oversize as I hate that much slop in mine.

Feedback Score

I went with 1.185 thinking Id have to skim a little off to make it fit. Ended up making the scock retainer with the adjusting holes bigger to make up for the slop. Its snug now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think they designed them with that much slop to open and shut when they're dirty/sandy. I think the slop is a bit excessive and would love to have only .015" difference between the two. Of course I'm not going to make a belly crawl across a sandy beach somewhere either. About the worst I've had was when I was out coyote hunting I got out of my truck I set my warm gun down in the snow and some of it melted and froze the stock in the closed position. It took me about two minutes with the stock under my coat to warm it up enough to open the stock.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.