Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buffer tube dimensions???

Feedback Score

Default Buffer tube dimensions???

Can someone tell me the sizes please. Im gonna make my own tomorrow and need the Inside diameter and the length.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Joezx10r, The inside diameter on a used one I have laying around is 1.04", the total length is 10-3/32" measured with a tape measure. The threaded section is .490" long and the collar behind it is .135" thick. The nub at the back is .215" tall, .72" in diameter and has been reduced to .619" at the flats. The bore is 9-5/8" deep. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score

Thats exactly what I needed. Thanks moleman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you're using tubing I'd just use 1" inside diameter tubing to make it easy. The head of the buffer is around .97" and the largest part of the bolt carrier that goes in there is around .93". I've been thinking of building a machined/welded version of a lower like in your avitar.

Feedback Score

Yeah Im doing this so I dont need to buy that expensive tap. Sense my buffer mount comes off I dont see the need in tapping it the 1 3/16 16 they call for I could make the buffer tube and make the tap size a 18 cause we have that one at work. I dont know why more guys havnt built this type lower its so easy and you dont need any jigs to hold it while machining. http://www.geocities.com/elmgrove176.../project6.html

Feedback Score

Or I could press fit and weld the buffer mount and tube together and have the spring and buffer insert through the back of the tube and do away with the tap all together.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Joezx10r, The inside diameter on a used one I have laying around is 1.04", the total length is 10-3/32" measured with a tape measure. The threaded section is .490" long and the collar behind it is .135" thick. The nub at the back is .215" tall, .72" in diameter and has been reduced to .619" at the flats. The bore is 9-5/8" deep. Hope this helps.
    Is the 10-3/32" the length for the carbine length tube???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thats a standard tube, a car is 7-1/4" total length. There is a spacer thats needed on a A2 stock thats not needed on the A1. If you need the spacer info let me know.

Feedback Score

Well I was going to use a adjustable stock and ordered the car spring, so do I need a spacer?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's a pic. The spacer is used to make up the difference between an a1 and a2 stock. They just don't just make the tube longer for parts commonality and the tube can't be any deeper than what it already is or the top of the bolt where the key is will strike the back of the receiver and charging handle as it won't be stopped by the rubber bumper on the back of the buffer. The spacer is the same diameter as the buffer tube, the large diameter is .6" long, the nub at the back is .710" in diameter and .2" tall. The large diameter section also has a recess for the nub on the back of the buffer tube that is .215" deep and .73" in diameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.