Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on oddball AR...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Thoughts on oddball AR...

I've been starting to collect parts to finish my other AR upper; I'm going to do a standard 5.56, but get parts so I can do convert to a 6.8 SPC or a 7.62x39: barrel, bolt, and mag when I feel like it. It got me thinking about other calibers that would be possible if money, time, and tools were no object. A few that I thought:

6 TCU, 6.5 TCU, 7 TCU. Obvious - necked up .223 brass, not a big deal. Just a barrel, and maybe a custom reamer.

300 Savage - not sure it would fit in a custom mag unless the bullet were seated very deep, or one trimmed .060 from the brass and seated the bullets deeper. Custom turned barrel, - would probably end up as a wildcat with trimmed brass. Cool? Maybe.

7.92x33 Kurz. Could be a fun cartridge to do; this would require a custom mag, and a custom-turned barrel, and a bolt face opened for .308. Still...

308x 1 1/2. This could be a lot of fun. 308 barrel chambered to the short cartridge. Same bolt size as the 7.92x33 Kurz. Custom mags - could be a trick? Still, it's got a 'cool' factor...

Anyone else have 'oddball' thoughts as to what you'd do to an AR platform if you had the time, money, and tooling? Not practical; more of a "gee whiz? platform?
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I hate lost brass, especially if its a hard to get case. I do a fair amount of coyote hunting with the ar in 223 and still am a little pissy when I can't find all of my brass out in the field. My only suggestion would be to use a cartridge that has a fairly common parent case. I've had two 6mmx45 ar15's and have been happy with both of them, but I'd hardly call them gee whiz. My first one back in the 80's was supposed to be a 6mm ppc, but somehow between the dealer and the supplier it turned out to be the 6x45.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I have a 6mm223 also it is a good tube and fun to shoot. Not cheap these days as barrels alone are 300+ I like the fact that you can use stock mags & bolts and Brass necked up to 6mm.. If you loose some brass it's no problem to replace... I've been finding the heaviest bullet that I can stuff in the brass and still fit in the magazine looks like a 97 may be it... problem is it gets tight with a long bullet and a full compressed powder charge.. I think a 6.5 grendal is better than a 6.8 spc... for any long range shooting and now there is the 30AR from Remington.. for hunting, it sounds like a fun idea... the AR keeps getting better.. and more mainstream that is great it keeps the regular gun guys on the black rifle side when voting time comes around..... I'd stay away from the wild cat stuff and custom mags and such the custom dies and mags etc don't hold their value very well when it come time to sell them, you'll have half the buyers to sell it to if they don't reload... B2B

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's not so much a question of practical, as much as it's a question of what do you think would be cool?

7.92x33 (8mm Kurz) is the one that keeps me thinking "way cool"...
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    I hate lost brass, especially if its a hard to get case. I do a fair amount of coyote hunting with the ar in 223 and still am a little pissy when I can't find all of my brass out in the field.
    Get a brass catcher, on the AR the brass catchers work great. Saves about a half of an hour looking for cases.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Get a brass catcher, on the AR the brass catchers work great. Saves about a half of an hour looking for cases.
    For target shooting they're fine, but not worth the aggravation for hunting.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I think any AR is Cool... I have about 12 or so..to choose from.. but only one is in 6mm223 and one in 308.. I think a Grendal could be cool and I think a AR in 300 rem short mag or 338 luapa would be cool also but that is a lotta dough... and mags are hard to find make or buy... I dig accuracy in a semi auto so the Ar platform is KING of the turd pile... B2B

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

7mm TCU is a cool round, I had a custom xp100 in that caliber. also had a 7mm imsa one too.
    the 7mm ihmsa is .300 savage necked down to 7mm.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the only real oddball ar-15 i have is a 6.5grendel upper. the frecking thing is a real shooter though. no problem taking deer or hogs with it. despite what the rumor net says the 6.5 does not over penetrate with hunting type bullets. i poped a large bore the other day at about 260m. he dropped like a sack of feed grain in his tracks. the bullet fragmenteded and tore a huge hole in him but did not exit. it was a 129g sp.

i have been tempted to build a large frame ar-10 type rifle in 308,7mm-08 243 or some kind of short mag--LOL

but the expensive ammo is holding me back there.

Feedback Score

I like 300 Whisper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.