Thread: cutting an AR15 barrel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default cutting an AR15 barrel

I want to build an AR pistol in the 7.5 range with a full size pistol buffer and a rail that goes over the flash-hider......

Only thing is, Im poor... I have an ar15 lower in the safe, and 90% of a Lower parts kit, I just need the rest of the gun. This got me thinking, What if a guy bought a 16" parts kit, cut the barrel down to 7.5" drilled the GP and new slots for the GasBlock, and rethreaded the barrel.

I will already be scraping the hand guards, standard front sight, and flash hidder anyways. I think it could be done if I ordered a Pencil barrel and then I would not need to have it machined down to the .75" of the for the GB. I would just use a .6?? whatever size it is for the smaller dia. barrel.

Has anyone done this?

Any reason not to do this?

Pistol kits are about $100-$150 more than a std kit.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

buy the pistol kit, it is worth the extra money.

CEO Macon Armory Inc. Mad-Machinist's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Just wondering if you ever built your pistol......I'm doing a 5.56 with some mods I hope will work reliably with a 4 inch buffer I'm playing with....but to make a 7.5 barrel......I wound up getting a 25 or 27 inch barrel blank........so I'll probably be making a couple of more pistol barrels to finance my own project......interested? I want to make sure I get mine running before I use the remaining barrel stock...but I can sympathise having acute BRD on a budget.............................and I'll probably be willing to take any left over parts you have in trade....

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.