Gunco Forums banner

6.5 grendel build

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·
I think I may be building a 6.5 grendel soon. I first have a few questions. 1-Can I use a 5.56 upper rec. or is there a different one for 6.5? 2-What are the other names for the 6.5 grendel? I heard there are a few different names used by other companys so as not to infringe on the patent, i.e. "6.5 sporter". 3- What would be a good bbl that doesnt break the bank? Thanks.

#4 ·
I was thinking of using model 1 sales but alexander arms has good prices and after all they came up w/ the grendel so I think I'll go w/ them. Bbl/bolt combo 18 & 24" $320. Thanks again, chopper!

#5 ·
Be aware Alexander Arms makes the face of their bolts 0.010" deeper than standard. A 6.5 Grendel AR bolt would be the same as a 7.62X39 AR bolt. But if you use a standard bolt with an AA barrel or an AA bolt with a standard barrel headspacing will be a problem.

You can use a standard upper receiver for a 6.5 upper project. I've got a 14.5" 6.5 with a pinned extended FH that was originally made by AA. I'm into the Colt gray so I switched uppers and sold the 6.5 marked upper. That upper shoots great. Good luck with your project.

Scott

#11 ·
In the video after he puts the piece of paper in the primer hole and the hot glue, he says he puts the 7.62X39 shell into a "press". Could someone explain to me what kind of "press" is he using? I have a 14.5" A.A. 6.5 Grendel upper and a bunch of 7.62X39 brass. That would be handy if I could learn that trick. Thank you for the video post.

Scott

#12 ·
In the video after he puts the piece of paper in the primer hole and the hot glue, he says he puts the 7.62X39 shell into a "press". Could someone explain to me what kind of "press" is he using? I have a 14.5" A.A. 6.5 Grendel upper and a bunch of 7.62X39 brass. That would be handy if I could learn that trick. Thank you for the video post.

Scott
OK first the shell holder has the hole welded up the press is a rcbs rock chucker the die is a full length lee Grendel die the punch i made to use just for this forming process

#15 ·
The punch is a slip fit, allowing little to no water to escape the case. Water is nearly incompressible, so by smacking the punch with the hammer, the water pressure forces the case into the shape needed to use the resizing die to finish forming the case. No water gets displaced, else it wouldn't work. Containing the water in the case is key to hydro-forming the brass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.