Thread: Barrel fluting?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Barrel fluting?

I have an old 20" 1-14" twist barrel that I was wanting to flute to make a lighter weight free float coyote upper with. I mostly shoot 50gr v-max out of it so I'm not concerned about the twist rate. Its also not a tack driver so I'm not worried about screwing up the accuracy by fluting it. The area under the handguard forward of the chamber is .850" diameter and the area in front of the gas block is .725" diameter. My thoughts were six 1/4" wide flutes .140" deep under the handguard and six 3/16" wides flutes .105" deep forward of the gas block. This brings the bottems of the flutes down to around a .570" diameter under the hand guard and .520" forward of the gas block. The same areas on a colt m16 pencil barrel I have is .640" under the handguard and .570" forward of the front sight. I did find a company whos thinest barrel was .550" after a 2" taper from the chamber area, and again .550" forward of the front sight. AR15BARRELS.COM - Featherweight Barrel Profile What are the number of flutes, widths, depths and diameters of your fluted barrels? Just wondering before I order some ball end mills.
    Last edited by moleman; 02-20-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add link

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Since no one responded and said "you'll shoot your eye out kid" I went ahead and ordered some 1/4" and 3/16" ball endmills. I laid out the locations for the 6 flutes by wrapping a piece of 2" packing tape around the two steps so that it was square and the ends overlapped. I then cut through the overlap using a piece of angle iron as a guide. I now had two pieces of tape the length of the surface of the barrel. I placed the tape one at a time on a steel square and colored the tape with a marker. I measured the tape and diveded by six. Then using calipers I scratched off the marker lines to the corect spacing on the tape. Then I covered the tape with a longer piece of tape to protect the marker and placed it back on the barrel with the middle of one of the spaces centered on the gas port. I then milled out the slots and blasted the barrel so I can hopefully get it parkerized tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Hello moleman,
    Another simple way to layout six even spaces around the circumfrence of a barrel.... Measure the barrel diameter with your caliper. Divide that diameter in two (ie radius). Lock your caliper at the radius size and use it to scribe six marks around your barrel using layout dye of course. A radius cuts its' circle into six even segments !! Tricky no ???

Your flutes look cool !!!

VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks , thats a sneaky trick Viper Dude! I have a couple more barrels I may flute. It wasn't hard to do, just a lot of set up for each cut. A dividing head would make that go a lot faster. I'll have to look for one after we get our tax refund.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

you'll shoot you eye out..LOL nice work on the flutes B2B

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

You'll shoot BOTH eyes out! That's OK, we'll just call you blind-as-a-moleman!

Nice work, and agree with the great trick from VD. (Always wanted to call him VD )
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I managed to get it parkerized this morning. Now I just need to get an aluminum gas block and flat top receiver since I don't have any extras of those.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.