Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ammo problem?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

check the carrier for a loose gas key. then check the rings on the bolt make sure there not bent or broke and properly staggered. check the fit of the bolt in the carrier--too tight or too lose are no-go.

i have been seeing a lot of faulty gas rings lately.

while testing the rifle make sure it is lubed up good.

a partially obstructed gas tube can also cause this problem as can a bent one.

you want to be sure the gas tube is straight and not clogged. you also want the gas port in the barrel clean.

i had a LMT 16" that had the same problem--it had a tiny speck of metal lodged in the gas port in the barrel.

last resort is pulling the front sight base off and drilling the gas port hole out one size larger. i only do this if i have tried ever other trick to get the rifle up and running.

one last little thing to check-- i have been seeing a few barrels that are a little tight on the chamber side. combine that with too much pressure on the extractor spring and sometimes a stiff 0-ring there can cause some weird cycling problems.

do you have any problems cycling rounds through the weapon by hand cycling the action? if it extracts rounds but takes too much effort. this can be the problem.

if it is real close to functioning with the wolf ammo --but runs fine on UMC or other USA made stuff. it might pay off to just carefully clean the rifle and lube it up. then run some hotter ammo out of it fire a few mags of the good stuff. then try the wolf again.

Feedback Score

I ran into one rifle just recently that the bolt cam pin had the firing pin hole in it drilled off center, so the top rectangular part would jam in the upper on 2 corners of it. I stoned the corners and now it's good.

Pull the bolt into the unlocked position and see if the edges of the cam pin stick out from the plane of the side of the gas key.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I hand cycled a 20 round mag with no problems. My next move was to put the Rock River bolt in the Del ton carrier and the Del ton bolt in the RR carrier. I shot 30 rounds out of each-10 Fioccho, 10 Brown Bear, 10 Wolf. No problems!! I did notice the Del ton carrier was shorter in the back of the carrier- where the slot was machined. I still don't know whats going on. I will put them back the right way and see if they just needed a break-in like 427 said. Will let you guys know- Thanks Next up is a Model 1 7.62x39 ar that does the same thing!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Talking

Switched back and I had no problems today! Thanks for the help- next time I'll try to break it in even though with quality parts I don't think you should have to!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    Switched back and I had no problems today! Thanks for the help- next time I'll try to break it in even though with quality parts I don't think you should have to!!

with a LMT,DD,BCM,FN or colt bolt carrier i have never had these kind of problems. they have all ways run straight up out of the box.

i have seen a few deltons and other generic carriers that fit too tight on the bolt.

too tight is not all that bad. after a few rounds it will wear in a little and run fine. too loose you got a serious problem and will have to replace the carrier.

glad you got it running right--

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Before I got this going I went to the Rock River website and saw they had chrome bolts and carrier for a limited time at the same price as a regular one. 130.00 with free shipping! Well- I got it Friday and I have to say its almost to pretty to get dirty- Ha Ha. I'll probably use this one and keep the Del-Ton for a spare. Thanks-Bill

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

here is another little tip

when changing a gas key by the FM book it says to put on a blank firing device and fire a few blank rounds.

blanks are very dirty so the new gas key will seal off with smut and then function normal.

this is why all the LMT bolt carriers come a bit dirty. they test fire them to get them to seal up then ship them.

it never hurts to have a spare carrier and besides you'll want to build another sooner or later.

i would guess the del-ton BCG since it has started working won't give any more problems.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hey j427x-didn't you say you had a model 1 7.62 x 39 ar that ate anything you fed it? I have one and heres a question. It will shoot russian steel ammo but the damn thing won't shoot american brass! I have had a few ftf's with dented primers on russian but with good brass it will fire and sometimes stove-pipe or fire and eject but not load the next round. Using good c-products mags. Bill

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Maybe I should start another thread

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    Hey j427x-didn't you say you had a model 1 7.62 x 39 ar that ate anything you fed it? I have one and heres a question. It will shoot russian steel ammo but the damn thing won't shoot american brass! I have had a few ftf's with dented primers on russian but with good brass it will fire and sometimes stove-pipe or fire and eject but not load the next round. Using good c-products mags. Bill

my wilson carbine h-bar barreled 7.62x39 had some serious stovepipe issues running wolf and any other type of ammo. it was the last wilson DTI had in stock during the obongo panic.

i did have to enlarge the gas port one size and it runs fine now. it is the one with the too tight (match)chamber that required some adjustments on the extractor springs and removal of the o-ring.

on a 7.62 you may have to trim the back side of the bolt some and or add a wolf extra power hammer spring. this is because the 7.62x39 ammo has hard and deep set primers. it needs a little more firing pin travel than a 5.56/5.45 does.

the wilson runs fine now it just required a little tuning to get right.

now that citadel 7.62x39 was super easy to get running --nearly as easy as a regular 5.56 barrel.

DSG has the wolf extra power hammer springs for $3 if you need them.

now on the USA made ammo not running --you got me there i never seen that before. could you have a bad batch that is short loaded?

it might pay to try another brand of ammo. winchester has all ways worked for me.

usually the short stroking is a wolf thing--LOL! keep me informed on how it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.