Thread: building a dissipator anyone ?

Feedback Score

Default building a dissipator anyone ?

hello.

new guy here.

i've got this apex M16 pencil barrel, that needs a direction.

so far i've got most of it, plum crazy lower, the barrel, a dse upper flattop.
    a BCG on its way..

but ? im wanting another dissy, my old dissy has a cmmg barrel, with gas port moved to middy, and trimmed down by steve at ADCO, took a fully 1.3 pounds off !! sweet !!

but now ? im on a quest for the lightest dissy i can putt together, [the kids love my older dissy]

soooo ? hows this sound..???.

a pencil barrel cutt back to 17.5 inches, plum crazy lower, with 6-position stock, dse reciver, full handguards, and single rail .625 gas block,

three prong flash hider, with some of the problems i've heard with rifle gas, on shorter barrels, thats why im thinking 17.5 inches, i never really notice the extra 1.5 inch, and still get ''the look'' and should be 100% reliable with good ammo.

thoughts ?

peabody

Feedback Score

You might have to open the port quite a bit. Look for the 11.5" barrel's port size as a starting point as it's muzzle is about that close to the FSB/gas block, you'll probably have to go even bigger though because of the increased distance from the chamber.

Feedback Score

you know ? i've wondered that.... but not to argue your point ? but ..?

i've seen rifles cutt down plum to 16'' ... and never have a problem, unless with cheep underpowered russian ? ammo....

my neighbor has a DPMS dissy, dont know what ? if anything dpms did to the gas port.
    its rifle gas, shoots fine, eats everything we've feed it.

i understand the gas psi, and dwell time.... ??? but some work perfectly, some dont.
    thats why i figger to go 17.5 inches.

i guess ? i'll just have to try n;' see.... hopes it works.

peabody

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

rifle length gas systems can be a problem sometimes when you have really short dwell time like on a 16" dissy.

your 17.5 idea should work ok--a 16-18" barrel should work full length gas with a bit of tuning on the gas port size.

on my dissy builds they seemed to work out best with mid-length or CAR length gas systems.

the 7.62x39 dissy with CAR gas is tough to beat.

that extra dwell the AR gurus all ways gripe about actually helps reliability when you got low pressure ammo.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.