Gunco Forums banner

Carry handle

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  moleman 
#1 ·
Got my Model 1 7.62x39 ar kit and went to try the upper out. Popped off 40 rnds-2x20 in C-products 30 rnd mags. Not one ftf with Russki Golden Bear. One question though. The back of the carry handle- the elevation and windage adjust fine but the assembly is canted to the left-not square. I asked on ar15.com and a couple said that was normal. Well, my RRA is square and I want this to be square. Shit like this drives me nuts. I don't want to start driving out roll pins!! j427x-got any advice? Bill

#2 ·
on the carry handle/sight base i have 5 --two bushmaster, one colt, one DPMS one made in china pot-metal POS. all of them even the china quality/pot metal POS fits square on the flat top and lines up perfectly.

no. if the carry handle/sight is off to one side something is amiss.

check to see the attachment points are sitting down proper on the flat top base.

#3 ·
Is this what you're talking about? The majority of my A2 rear sights are canted to some degree. This is about the worst one I have at the moment (I had a really bad M&A one back about 15-20 years ago). It is designed to do that so there can be some slop in the sight so it can be adjusted when dirty. The spring loaded ball bearing pushes the left side of the sight housing away from the A2 receiver/sight base so the rear sight doesn't flop around and change your point of impact.

Attachments

#6 ·
BBill, I don't think there is a way to adjust it as the gap and sight housing cant it causes are a result of the distance of the hole for the sight housing and the back of the sight groove it rests against. You could epoxy a piece of a feeler guage to the front right surface of the sight housing to bring it back square, but it would look crappy and eventually loosen and piss you off even more ( I know it would me). I'd try drilling the right side of the housing oppset of the detent for a bb that would stick up the ammount needed to straighten out the sight housing. Welding it up and milling the right side a little wider and refinishing would give the most bullet proof method, but thats alot of work. I haven't taken apart or installed an A2 sight in at least 12 years so take it for what its worth.

#7 ·
BBill, I don't think there is a way to adjust it as the gap and sight housing cant it causes are a result of the distance of the hole for the sight housing and the back of the sight groove it rests against. You could epoxy a piece of a feeler guage to the front right surface of the sight housing to bring it back square, but it would look crappy and eventually loosen and piss you off even more ( I know it would me). I'd try drilling the right side of the housing oppset of the detent for a bb that would stick up the ammount needed to straighten out the sight housing. Welding it up and milling the right side a little wider and refinishing would give the most bullet proof method, but thats alot of work. I haven't taken apart or installed an A2 sight in at least 12 years so take it for what its worth.
Thanks-it's not so bad I can't live with it! At least it shoots the hell out of russki 7.62x39. Thats really the only reason I got it! Bill

#8 ·
humm-- i just went back and checked mine again. and still none of them will cant that far.

that part of the sight can move in the base. possibly the spring is off the base?

one thing you might be able to do to get the sight straight and even in the base is.

run the sight all the way down--just before it bottoms out straighten it up and then lower it that last notch.

then adjust the front sight post--

i think i done this to some of mine and thats why their all straight--LOL

#9 ·
j427x, Thats the worst one I think I have. Most of my ar uppers are packed up at the moment though. Even if I turn the sight all the way until it bottems out, the ball bearring and spring that is in line with the "UP" arrow push the left side of the sight away from the left side of the receiver. I had that upper on a standard heavy barrel when I would shoot the dcm matches. The apeture is still set for that barrel I sold a few years back. It is between the center mark and the very first mark to the right.

#10 ·
one of my pals drilled a tiny hole through the base on one of his chi-com copys. and inserted a tiny pin through the hole with a little JB weld to stick the pin in the base.

the sight is true and square now. the little hole and pin hard to notice.

the trick here is make sure you have the holes drilled through the sight and into the base square!

#13 ·
one of my pals drilled a tiny hole through the base on one of his chi-com copys. and inserted a tiny pin through the hole with a little JB weld to stick the pin in the base.

the sight is true and square now. the little hole and pin hard to notice.

the trick here is make sure you have the holes drilled through the sight and into the base square!
Similar idea, but not in the baseplate. Drill a small hole on the "tight side" of the carry handle. Be sure placement allows full elevation without slipping out. Install a spring and pin to apply pressure to straighten out the sight. Now its twisted opposite what it was.:scared: So, on the opposide side drill a hole and thread it for insert of a hex head setscrew to adjust it perfectly straight. It'll take a few tries, but when its right, a drop of red locktite on the threads and you're done.

#11 ·
I gotcha now. Kinda like the bb thing I suggested for BBill only with more surface area. For now they haven't bothered me enough to fix them. Although I've mostly been shooting the uppers that have some sort of optic on them lately for some unknow reason :geezer:

#14 ·
I used j427x's trick to square it before tightening it down and its even now. One last question- Model 1 web site has parts for the standard sight. The standard A2 aperture is only 7.00 Is that what I need to change or is another part the problem? I'll check back later-going to the Colts game and drink a few cold ones! Bill

#19 ·
BBill, The rear sight in my picture has a gap on the left side of about .030". In order to get keep the rear sight square on mine, I'd need to drill my pocket so that the BB sits .015" above the main body. I don't believe you should use a spring as then it'll just be a battle between which spring is stronger, the one thats already there on the left side or the new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.