Thread: triangle handguards for a carbine?

Feedback Score

Default triangle handguards for a carbine?

I'm looking for a way to use old triangle handguards on a carbine upper. I think I remember seeing a company that sold shortened triangle handguars and a front handguard cap that allowed you to use them on a carbine for some kind of retro carbine look. I wanted to see how they did it so I could maybe do some mid-length triangle handguards. Anybody know or remember what the name of that company is?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

they do make a mid-length triangle old school type of hand-guards. you'll likely have to google that one.

it is not very hard to convert a a 16" H-barrel to a 16"dissipator with the full length hand-guards either. i just finished up a 7.62 H-bar and is looks very nice with the a1 stock set.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

NoDak Spud has converted some to middy length.
    NoDak Spud Retro Lowers

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    NoDak Spud has converted some to middy length.
    NoDak Spud Retro Lowers
    I went to the NoDAk Spud site and saw their handguards -- that's what I was looking for. I also found them on another site but I'm not sure if they still have any. I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks for the info!

Feedback Score

NoDak Spud received my order with the description of my midlength barrel. Turns out The handguards won't work with my barrel -- the area behind the front sight base is too big. Max diameter that will work is 0.850" and mine is 0.947". Darn!!!!!

Feedback Score

Hello 22 boomer,
    I have made some shortie triangular AR handguards from standard oldies. They were shortened from the rear with a chopsaw. The rear fitting was salvaged and belt sanded carefully to fit inside the new short section. It was bonded in place with JB Weld. Some black resin pigment was added to the JB Weld for cosmetics. A simple wood fixture was used to keep the fitting properly oriented until the glue cured hard via a hot lightbult. Surfaces to be glued should be rough sanded for good tooth and bonding.

Since that rear "fitting" is bonded to the inner surface of the shortened handguard halves that "fitting" must be carefully sanded down to fit. Aluminum heat shielding can be sliced away wth a Dremel and abrasive disc(s). Friends and I did this stuff about 27 years ago, before the internet and digital pics.

VD

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello 22 boomer,
    I have made some shortie triangular AR handguards from standard oldies. They were shortened from the rear with a chopsaw. The rear fitting was salvaged and belt sanded carefully to fit inside the new short section. It was bonded in place with JB Weld. Some black resin pigment was added to the JB Weld for cosmetics. A simple wood fixture was used to keep the fitting properly oriented until the glue cured hard via a hot lightbult. Surfaces to be glued should be rough sanded for good tooth and bonding.

Since that rear "fitting" is bonded to the inner surface of the shortened handguard halves that "fitting" must be carefully sanded down to fit. Aluminum heat shielding can be sliced away wth a Dremel and abrasive disc(s). Friends and I did this stuff about 27 years ago, before the internet and digital pics.

VD
    I had thought about doing just what you did. You may have given me the insentive to go ahead and try it. I had seen some carbine length triangle handguards for sale at one time but they were just cut down and an end cap made for the barrel nut end -- I didn't like that much. Thanks for the info Viper Dude!

Feedback Score

Hello 22 boomer,
    The little wood fixture piece for the alignment of the rear fitting and the reduced size triangular handguard section was still in my toolbox !!! It is simply a piece of 1 3/8 inch diameter wood dowel, 3/4 inch long and cut in half... like a very fat 1/2 moon key. I made mine using a holesaw and a piece of 3/4 inch thick oakwood flooring.

This little lump of wood helps keep that rear fitting in position as it bonds to the inside of the cut down handguard shell. Position is VERY important. I suggest drawing a centerline on a sheet of paper and placing the little wood slug squarely on the centerline with a dab of white glue etc.

Some plastic food wrap over the guide will help keep the JB Weld from getting stuck to it.

VD

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello 22 boomer,
    The little wood fixture piece for the alignment of the rear fitting and the reduced size triangular handguard section was still in my toolbox !!! It is simply a piece of 1 3/8 inch diameter wood dowel, 3/4 inch long and cut in half... like a very fat 1/2 moon key. I made mine using a holesaw and a piece of 3/4 inch thick oakwood flooring.

This little lump of wood helps keep that rear fitting in position as it bonds to the inside of the cut down handguard shell. Position is VERY important. I suggest drawing a centerline on a sheet of paper and placing the little wood slug squarely on the centerline with a dab of white glue etc.

Some plastic food wrap over the guide will help keep the JB Weld from getting stuck to it.

VD
    Thanks for that info. I was wondreing how to align the parts so that everything fit together on the AR correctly.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.