Thread: M16A1 build questions

Feedback Score

Default M16A1 build questions

Newbie questions for a M16A1 build.

I'm seeing some of the M16A1 kits for sale. Spendy but it is sparking an interest.

What would I need to build a legal AR-15 from a M16a1 kit? What tools would I need. Any recomendations?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post doug

These videos from youtube will lead you into all kinds of building tips.
    j4 here and some of the other guys are into building them.
    They will give you some tips.
    Have a couple of ARs but never built one myself. Got too give it a go one of these days.
    Dont know if the A1 is much different. But it is a start.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Legal-wise, you need to omit the full auto fire control parts. Buy yourself a semiautomatic trigger, disconnector, safety/selector, hammer and you ought to be good to go. Then assemble as posted above.
    www.KoonceCustom.com

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -- Frank Sinatra

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by doug123 View Post

I'm seeing some of the M16A1 kits for sale. Spendy but it is sparking an interest.

What would I need to build a legal AR-15 from a M16a1 kit? What tools would I need. Any recomendations?
    You NEED the multi-tool for the AR, it just makes things go together smoothly. Brownells has them, it looks like a funny wrench.

DPMS : AR-15 Multi-Tool (231-000-007) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

You can find them elsewhere for $20 or so.

Mark

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you saw it in the Sportsman Guide you can find a kit cheaper if you look around.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    If you saw it in the Sportsman Guide you can find a kit cheaper if you look around.
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/1483
    www.KoonceCustom.com

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -- Frank Sinatra

Feedback Score

I watched the vid. That look rather simple. However the parts kits come with a barrel in the white. I'm not sure what needs to be drilled or the difficulty of the build. Nor do I know what build tools are needed other then the tool. Or even for that the cost of any additional tools/ parts other then the NDS reciever and parts kit. So I'm a real newbie looking for info.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post doug.

I watched the vid. That look rather simple. However the parts kits come with a barrel in the white. I'm not sure what needs to be drilled or the difficulty of the build. Nor do I know what build tools are needed other then the tool. Or even for that the cost of any additional tools/ parts other then the NDS reciever and parts kit. So I'm a real newbie looking for info.

How to start building your own AR-15 rifle | Wonder How To
    Here is a video ad from Brownells. I also am a newbie on building them so dont feel bad. Pretty sure if you have a C&R Brownells gives you a discount on purchased items.
    The Govt. gave me a full auto A1 too hold for a year, plus free ammo. Then the rats made me give it back.
    The guys are giving you good advice. Here is another link on the upper.
    Get the kit. Then if you have item specific questions. It will probably be easier for them too walk you through it.
    Borrowed from AR-15 site.. Thank you guys over there.
    Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

If you get a kit with an 'in the white' barrel, you will have to install the FSB (already drilled) by making slots in the barrel to take the taper pins. This is a tricky procedure without a good way to securly hold all the parts in place. The drilling tool will tend to "walk" when it hits the barrel, and this will make it difficult to line up the slot to the hole on the other side of the FSB.
    GunThings.com, Military Small Arms Parts Headquarters!  FNFAL, L1A1, 1919, AK, Galil sells the same kit but with the barrel already assembled with the FSB and parkerized. Adco Firearms is a recommended vendor for the shop services of installing the FSB on the barrel.

Feedback Score

I would stake the castle nut but that's just me.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.