Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on cheapo 9mm build.

Feedback Score

Default Advice on cheapo 9mm build.

I got a 9mm barrel for $99, the rest of the parts I already had from a 7.62X25 blowback build -- except a magblock. I want to keep this dirt cheap -- anybody know if the Promag Colt style magblock works? I know Promag has a bad name but the magblock actually looks OK even though it's part plastic. I was wondering if anybody had actually tried one?

The picture below is the one I'm talking about.

The 9mm setup is actually for a switch barrel setup so I can go from 9mm to 7.62X25 by switching barrels and magblocks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

man you got me on this one. i too am sort of looking for a inexpensive pistol cal ar build.

did you get one of those "surplus" 9mm h-bars form mil-surp.com?

being a pro mag i would run screaming away from that one. though keep in mind i am only going by the name/ pro-mags are known to suck.

C-products makes a mag thingy for $80 palmetto state armory sell them.

spikes has their mag block on sale for $130 last time i looked. it is pricey but it is adjustable and might be worth the extra $$.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    man you got me on this one. i too am sort of looking for a inexpensive pistol cal ar build.

did you get one of those "surplus" 9mm h-bars form mil-surp.com?

being a pro mag i would run screaming away from that one. though keep in mind i am only going by the name/ pro-mags are known to suck.

C-products makes a mag thingy for $80 palmetto state armory sell them.

spikes has their mag block on sale for $130 last time i looked. it is pricey but it is adjustable and might be worth the extra $$.
    I got the barrel from "BuyMilSurplus.com" at this location AR-15 Style 9mm Heavy Barrel 16.1 Inches 1/2x28 Threaded Muzzle - $99.00 : Buymilsurp.com, Your source for military surplus.
    The barrel is in the white, has no locating pin or hole drilled but that was not important to me. I agree with you about the name Promag but the magblock looks very much like the C-products magblock which I think also has a plastic main body. I don't know if the C-products is any better. I have been thinking about getting a Sten mag block since I have a bunch of them left over from my old 9mm -- I sold it like a dumb a$$. I can't believe the Promag has not been tried by somebody -- or they're too imbarrassed to admit it. I may just have to go buy one down the road and make myself a Promag test dummy.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

It might be made by C-products, can't find it on ProMags site, where did you find it?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

hehe! that switch from 9mm to 7.62x25 and back sounds interesting! i may try that! if i can find the correct mags--

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    It might be made by C-products, can't find it on ProMags site, where did you find it?
    It seems the only place that sells the Promag mag block is Sportsmans Guide! Click on the link below.

Promag Ar - 15 9 Mm Adapter Block, Shooting Accessories, Pro-Mag, Adapter Block Polymer Construction High-Carbon Steel Ejector Made Usa at Sportsman's Guide

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    hehe! that switch from 9mm to 7.62x25 and back sounds interesting! i may try that! if i can find the correct mags--
    Now this is all blowback not the fancy DI setups. The 9mm will be just a standard Colt style 9mm setup. You can choose the mags and magblock. Then all you need is a blowback barrel in 7.62X25 and a special magblock to handle the PPS-43 mags. The PPS mags are not expensive but not cheap either -- maybe $15 each. There is a company named "Heavy Metal Group" that will be building 7.62X25 magblocks for blowback Tok uppers. You can get on the web site here to ask about it if you want to.
    7.62x25 TOK Forum - Firearms

I built mine years ago when I still had my original 9mm. The picture below shows the midlength Tok barrel, The 9mm bolt, the 9mm buffer and spring and the home-made PPS-43 magblock.

You just take off the handguards, unscrew the barrel nut, remove the Tok barrel, insert the 9mm barrel, screw in the barrel nut, replace the handguards. Then all you do is change the magblock to the correct type and you're ready to go!

Feedback Score

Hey, a guy over on ar15.com just replied about using the Promag magblock. He was also using the Promag 9mm magazines and said it worked fine with no feeding problems. I just ordered one and will report on how it works for me.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yes please give some info when you get it.

That's strange they don't have it listed on ProMag's site, thanks for the link
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

22 boomer who sells an ar tok barrel? is there a web site called HM? that 762x25 is becoming very popular.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.