Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AR15 upper

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_V View Post
    Boiiiing!!!!!

I think that's the sound I heard as the front takedown detent pin took off for places unknown.

I was so proud of myself that I had only a couple insignificant things happen on this build that I started to get cocky when assembling the lower and then there goes the pin. Luckily the spring was easy to find, not so with the detent pin. I didn't have another detent pin, so I took a 3/32" drill bit, cut the shank, ground the ends, and put the rest of the lower together, being a bit more careful this time. I'll post some finished pictures sometime this weekend

Good thing this happened, as it reaffirmed the fact of being more careful when working with these small springs.
    Same here John.. NASA called me and asked if I was launching missiles at my house. Dont feel bad, you aint the first too launch.
    Damn.. When those thing fly. You could save ammo and use that pin for a weapon.
    Put some picts up when your done.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I found that you can use a thin ss ruler to hold the spring & detent in place while you insert the take down pin in place. Nothing is perfect as somewhere in my livingroom there is an errant detent when I tried my first one!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score

I used a punch (I forget what size) that was close to the size of the receiver holes to capture the detent while I slid the pin from the other side. I figured that out after launching my first one across the kitchen.

Feedback Score

Hi Guys,

Been quite a while since I've been on this board, but wanted to update you on my absence.

First, I did finish my AR15 build and am very happy with my work on the lower. I wish I could say the same for the upper (JSE Surplus). I took the rifle out to the range, and all seemed well for the first couple shots, then the rifle started to short stroke on me. I looked the gun over and all was in order, so I figured it was the ammo (Federal 55gr), so the fellow next to me gave me some Remington factory (55gr also) and the rifle reacted the same (jamming and cases ejecting forward). Well I took it home and tore it down and was totally shocked by what I found. First, the gas hole was half covered by the gas block (the people that build for JSE, drilled the gas hole without taking into consideration the thickness of the handguard retainer - beginner's mistake). Second, the gas hole wasn't drilled all the way through (the .078 gas hole was only about half its size, which meant they didn't break through the barrel, hence, about a .045" hole at best). Needless to say, I drilled the gas hole through, replaced the gas block with a low profile one, drilled detents for the gas block retaining screws to lock into, and installed a customizable handguard from Yankee Hill. All is well now and will range test again next week - Hopefully my problems are solved - we'll see.

Second, I built an AR10 from a raw forging, and also did the barrel from a blank from Green Mountain, I wrote a tutorial on the AR10, much along the lines of Ray-Vin's Tutorial and you can view it here. You can see my completed project here. I had to make all the tooling for the AR10 also and you can see some of it here.

Third, I am working on a Zombie shotgun with my brother. We're using an old JC Higgins model 20, 12ga (which, by the way is one of the finest pump shotguns ever built - Hi Standard 200). We are installing a pistol grip and forend assembly from ATI, whose intended use is the Mossberg 500, but with a few minor mods can be made to fit the old JC. The barrel heat shield needs to be cut and fitted to rings that are silver soldered to the barrel, then for some sandblasting and GunKote. No pics yet, but hopefully soon.

Hope to post back soon....

Later
    Johnny V
    Johnny V
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Member OGCA
    CCW OH & PA

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Wow! That is a beautiful build! Nice tools you have made also. Thanks for the update and welcome back!!
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
    I used a punch (I forget what size) that was close to the size of the receiver holes to capture the detent while I slid the pin from the other side. I figured that out after launching my first one across the kitchen.
    I bought a cheap punch set at HF and use the small punch also. Once you figure out how to hold it in place, it goes easy.
    Good luck.
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.