Gunco Forums banner

AR15 upper

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  sgt ron 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of any good deals on complete AR uppers in .223?

Thanks
Johnny V

#2 ·
AR15 Lowers & Uppers-D S Arms

JSE Surplus

if it was me wanting to build a high end ar-15 on low buck budget. i would get that $275 nitrited upper from DSA. or maybe that 1-7" twist in chrome lined. then i would order the $100 m-16 bolt& carrier and $15 charging handle form Evil black rifle girls.

but if you want a regular upper with no chrome the JSE upper is tough to beat. not as good as those with the mis-matched gas tubes. but pretty good prices non the less.

#4 ·
a few years ago--we had JSE selling some uppers with the mis-matched gas tubes and ports. they looked a little off but i hear they ran fine. seems like they were about $270 or so with bolt carrier charging handle-and all IIRC. hell of a deal for some one to build a inexpensive shooter--

i have bought tons of stuff from JSE and EBR--they are sort of the same outfit. they ship super quick too. here is a link to EBR girls

EvilBlackRifleGirls.com - Page 2

i got this very nice m-16 bolt carrier group from them last year. very nice and the same one that is sold for $150 in other shops. chrome lined gas key and properly staked to boot.

#6 ·
Boiiiing!!!!!

I think that's the sound I heard as the front takedown detent pin took off for places unknown.

I was so proud of myself that I had only a couple insignificant things happen on this build that I started to get cocky when assembling the lower and then there goes the pin. Luckily the spring was easy to find, not so with the detent pin. I didn't have another detent pin, so I took a 3/32" drill bit, cut the shank, ground the ends, and put the rest of the lower together, being a bit more careful this time. I'll post some finished pictures sometime this weekend

Good thing this happened, as it reaffirmed the fact of being more careful when working with these small springs.

#7 ·
i have had a few of those little flea sized pins go into orbit myself.

i made a spare from the left over steel stem from a 1/8th pop-rivet.

you can make a little tool that makes installing that little pin a snap. but every time i build a new lower that little tool i made is AWOL and i end up putting in the pin the old fashioned way!:bangin:

#9 ·
Before I started using a 1/4" clevis pin to install the take down detent I would install it with the lower in a ziplock bag. That way you don't loose the detent should it go flying.

#12 ·
I found that you can use a thin ss ruler to hold the spring & detent in place while you insert the take down pin in place. Nothing is perfect as somewhere in my livingroom there is an errant detent when I tried my first one!

#14 ·
Hi Guys,

Been quite a while since I've been on this board, but wanted to update you on my absence.

First, I did finish my AR15 build and am very happy with my work on the lower. I wish I could say the same for the upper (JSE Surplus). I took the rifle out to the range, and all seemed well for the first couple shots, then the rifle started to short stroke on me. I looked the gun over and all was in order, so I figured it was the ammo (Federal 55gr), so the fellow next to me gave me some Remington factory (55gr also) and the rifle reacted the same (jamming and cases ejecting forward). Well I took it home and tore it down and was totally shocked by what I found. First, the gas hole was half covered by the gas block (the people that build for JSE, drilled the gas hole without taking into consideration the thickness of the handguard retainer - beginner's mistake). Second, the gas hole wasn't drilled all the way through (the .078 gas hole was only about half its size, which meant they didn't break through the barrel, hence, about a .045" hole at best). Needless to say, I drilled the gas hole through, replaced the gas block with a low profile one, drilled detents for the gas block retaining screws to lock into, and installed a customizable handguard from Yankee Hill. All is well now and will range test again next week - Hopefully my problems are solved - we'll see.

Second, I built an AR10 from a raw forging, and also did the barrel from a blank from Green Mountain, I wrote a tutorial on the AR10, much along the lines of Ray-Vin's Tutorial and you can view it here. You can see my completed project here. I had to make all the tooling for the AR10 also and you can see some of it here.

Third, I am working on a Zombie shotgun with my brother. We're using an old JC Higgins model 20, 12ga (which, by the way is one of the finest pump shotguns ever built - Hi Standard 200). We are installing a pistol grip and forend assembly from ATI, whose intended use is the Mossberg 500, but with a few minor mods can be made to fit the old JC. The barrel heat shield needs to be cut and fitted to rings that are silver soldered to the barrel, then for some sandblasting and GunKote. No pics yet, but hopefully soon.

Hope to post back soon....

Later
Johnny V

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.