Gunco Forums banner

Optics preferences

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Let me know what your optics preferences are for your AR's. My shooting will be out to no more than 200yds and I'd like to keep my cost to a minimum.

Here's what I have to date

#5 ·
I got one of those BSA Sweet 22 (yes 22lr), and if the others are made the same way, that would be a good choice.

It all depends on your eye sight, since you mentioned that. I was going to say a red dot, they seem to make you focus a little more, but if you need an actual scope look at 4 & 6 powered ones first then go from there.

#6 ·
It depends on what you're going to do with it. I have a red dot on a 16" mid length that I use now for coyote hunting out to 250 yards or so and a 20" extra heavy barrel with a nikon 3-9x40 that I use for varmit hunting or when I know I'll primarily have farther shots on coyotes. I also a 4-16 weaver on a bull barrel that is pretty much only used for varmit hunting due to it's weight. All of those scopes are matched to what they're going to be used for. After seeing my 16" with the red dot in action coyote hunting about 15 years ago my buddy got a red dot for his 20" bull barrel. He quickly found out that was the wrong optic for that barrel and got a 16" upper for the red dot and a nice leupold mark something for the bull barreled upper. Think about how you're going to use the rifle and pick an optic that best suits your needs.

#7 ·
After all the optics I just "had to have" I found the Aimpoint T-1 suitable for my needs. I mainly shoot irons out to around 200 yards but I don't shoot for groups. Just hits on mainly IDPA torso targets.

Now for magnified scopes I'd check out Vortex Optics. I personally have not shot with one of the scopes but I have used the Crossfire. It was very rugged and they have a lifetime warranty. And since cost is a factor, even on SWFA they are less expensive than comparable optics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.