Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gas operated wonder 9?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's a pic of the upper complete except for parkerizing and a muzzle brake. I'm going to try to make a levang type muzzle brake for it, but not to tame the awesome fury of the mighty 9mm luger round as it seems to kick about as much a a 22lr bolt action with CCI stingers. I want to make a levang type brake for it as they seem effective at directing the noise away from the shooter. Which is always nice for young shooters. It feeds fairly reliably with one bullet flipping up and jamming out of 2-3 magazines. I might be able to eliminate that by trying different spacing of the feed lips or smoothing out the feed ramp a little more. With the caterpilliar barrel lock nut on there Muttman joked that I should stamp it "Powered By CAT" But in the mean while since we're still in a severe storm warning, I put the snow camo stocks on and took a picture between snow bands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That is Badass!

Great job on the machining.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks Dark Knight. I started on a levang type comp on it, but stopped when I started getting a cold. No sense working on something with bubble head and screwing it up.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

very nice! i may have to build one myself--that gas 9mm just begs to be a SBR!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I managed some time to work on the comp. I turned some 1.25" 4150 rod down to 1.050" and drilled a .385" hole through it. Then drilled the six .185" port holes about 1" deep. I may deepen them to around 1.5" though. I knurled the back end of it. I need to decide if I want to reduce the diameter from the port holes back or leave it full size. I also need to thread it and parkerize it. I may also put a couple wrench flats on the back end and harden it. Here it is so far.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I managed a little garage time and got the comp drilled and threaded. I also ended up drilling the 6 port holes to about 1.5" deep so there would be more overlap. That does mean that the tap ends up cutting into the port holes and that does put extra stress on the tap. I used a spiral tap (which does better with the interupted cut) and held it with the live center to square it up. I still need to use a boring bar to flatten the space between the bullet hole and the comp holes so the gas has a flat spot to impact against. Right now it's tapered from the 37/64" drill bit. You can see in the picture of the back of the comp, how the gas will impact the flat spot (the darker area) and also partially exit the 6 port holes. A couple of the port holes still have burrs on them and look a little hairy in the picture

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

wouldn't one of these in 357sig or 45 super be sweet!--LOL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I wonder what velocity gains you could get with the 357 sig in a 16" barrel. A 6.8 sbc bolt may work for the 357 sig, 40s&w, 10mm auto as is or it may need opened up .002" or so. I was tempted to use my last assortment of ak parts to build a 40s&w gun that used sten mags. I don't know if the 357sig will work or not in the sten mags.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    I wonder what velocity gains you could get with the 357 sig in a 16" barrel. A 6.8 sbc bolt may work for the 357 sig, 40s&w, 10mm auto as is or it may need opened up .002" or so. I was tempted to use my last assortment of ak parts to build a 40s&w gun that used sten mags. I don't know if the 357sig will work or not in the sten mags.
    on my glock the 40 and 357 mags are pretty much the same mags.

i never seen a 357 sig carbine though i have shot many a 357 sig from 4.5" and 5" barrels. it is a nice speedy round with lots of "POP" from a pistol.

sort of a 7.62x25 toks bigger brother. light short bullets loaded for a sig carbine would make considerable increases in velocity i would think .

one thing about the 357 sig it makes mucho pressure for a pistol round. looks like it would run well in a DI based system.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Good web sight for yall to look at.

Ballistics by the inch

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.