Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bits and pieces (newb questions)

Feedback Score

Default bits and pieces (newb questions)

Just getting in to the AR market, and it seems overwhelming compared to the AK and FAL markets I'm used to.... Everything from bolts to barrel washers are available aftermarket/upgraded, from 20 different companies!!

At the moment, all I'm looking for is a good trigger group... What would you all recommend? Just looking for something cheap and simple, but not junk. Also, it has to fit an NDS retro A1 lower with little to no modification if possible...

Thanks,
    - CK
    Ask questions first; Distance? Windage? Elevation?
    ------------
    ""...when you capture spoils from the enemy, they must be used as rewards, so that all your men may have a keen desire to fight, each on his own account""

- Sun Tzu
    ------------
    "A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a State."
    - Zhuang Zi

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

If you're wanting cheap, Doublestar lower parts kit has a very decent single stage trigger with it. You'll need a lower kit anyways and they generally come with a trgger group.

Feedback Score

The bits and pieces in the Colt A1 kits won't work with the NDS retro lowers?

- CK
    Ask questions first; Distance? Windage? Elevation?
    ------------
    ""...when you capture spoils from the enemy, they must be used as rewards, so that all your men may have a keen desire to fight, each on his own account""

- Sun Tzu
    ------------
    "A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a State."
    - Zhuang Zi

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if the NDS is a military standard small pin the A1 parts will fit. but they will have to be adapted to semi only operation and you likely need a semi safety as well.

the colt A1 FCG makes a good set up after you re work it to semi. you can just grind off the offending auto stuff and fill in the rear slot part that is not used on the trigger.

i have had good luck lately with DPMS lpk's , double star LPKs, DS Arms LPK's , scrounged Colt m-16 fire control parts converted to semi ,

in fact the only LPK i have had that had a rough trigger was a CMMG i got from aim three or more years ago and on it i was able to tune it up by swapping a surplus colt hammer--

there are various methods of lightning up a ar trigger that are effective and low buck as well so i wouldn't worry too much about which FCG brand name the mall ninjas say is better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    if the NDS is a military standard small pin the A1 parts will fit. but they will have to be adapted to semi only operation and you likely need a semi safety as well.

the colt A1 FCG makes a good set up after you re work it to semi. you can just grind off the offending auto stuff and fill in the rear slot part that is not used on the trigger.

i have had good luck lately with DPMS lpk's , double star LPKs, DS Arms LPK's , scrounged Colt m-16 fire control parts converted to semi ,

in fact the only LPK i have had that had a rough trigger was a CMMG i got from aim three or more years ago and on it i was able to tune it up by swapping a surplus colt hammer--

there are various methods of lightning up a ar trigger that are effective and low buck as well so i wouldn't worry too much about which FCG brand name the mall ninjas say is better.
    Hey j4- can you find him the link to the easy trigger job? I know ar-15.com has it but I think I saw it here also

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Look in this thread. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/tri...estions-46520/ Look for Tanvil's 2nd post.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendeljaeger View Post
    Look in this thread. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/tri...estions-46520/ Look for Tanvil's 2nd post.
    Yes-thats it. I've done it on a couple of lowers. Switching back and forth between uppers- it doesn't seem to work that well with Russian ammo in 7.62 but works well with 5.56.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

how i clean up a gritty ar trigger is by polishing the contact points of trigger and hammer, and sometimes i match the parts though that requires spares.

generally the stock AR trigger ain't too bad for a semi provided you get a good fitting hammer and trigger.

Feedback Score

I've had good luck with five out of six DPMS lower kits and they arn't expensive.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

for out of the box plain jane LPK triggers, i think the double star/jt are about the smoothest and lightest pulls. don't forget to apply alittle grease to the pins and contact points.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.