Thread: Wanted: 1 3/16" Tap

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Wanted: 1 3/16" Tap

I have come across one of the 'old school' style 80% receivers but don't have any way to finish the buffer tube hole and threads. I remember the old days when these tools were much more common, but with the new 80% receivers the buffer tubes now come pre-finished.

Is there anyone who might be willing to loan me the BFD (1 1/8" demming drill) and 1 3/16"-16 tpi tap. I'd of course pay for postage each way, and would be happy to throw in either some of my woodworking plans CD-roms or Famous Generals DVD movies or USMC Markmanship Training films DVD (includes Iphone & Ipod format versions, also has all the operators manuals & armorers guides too as PDFs on the same disc).

Thanks...

Feedback Score

Hello Rocster,
    The Marshal Tool and Supply Corp wants over $65.oo and MSC Industrial Supply Company wants $100.oo for that "Special tap". Ouch !!!!

I'd bore and single-point thread that AR frame in a lathe. A 4-jaw chuck should hold it (backwards) by the buffer tube fitting. Use a long reach drill bit to start the pilot hole then bore it to proper minor thread diameter with a boring bar... a long and rigid boring bar. Then single point that aluminum thing with a long reach threading bar being careful not to allow the rotating receiver front to hit the saddle or toolpost all the while.

This assumes a lathe and single point threading skills.

One other method is to use a lathe to make a special tap in a decent piece of steel. Perhaps a piece of old rifle barrel can provide the steel. I doubt that any heat treat would be needed for one or two uses in 7075T6 aluminum. I'd still bore that minor diameter hole on a lathe as above or with a micrometer boring head in a mill.

VD

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

You will also need the #42 aircraft extention bit.

Feedback Score

I have gotten lucky with some large & oddball taps on flea bay just takes tenacity and fortitude waiting. Could take a week or five years.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

pm sent

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yeah...those taps are pricey. I have had a watch alert on eBay now for 5 months on 1 3/16 taps and they never go cheap, I have tried.

And, my first choice was to have a friend help me on his lathe, but he's out of town for a few weeks for a job.

Tanvil - just replied to your PM.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    His fixtures are well done- I've done several 80% lowers with them. Exellent results.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I agree. You can also raise the back of your lower a tiny bit in the jig and drill the rear take down pin hole slightly low. This will give you a very tight fit with any upper that you decide to use. No slop at all.

Feedback Score

Hello Rocster,
    Were you able to solve the tap problem ??? Still looking ???

Check on a large industrial surplus machine tool outlet such as Kitts Industrial Tools in Detroit. Phone: 1-800-521-6579 . (no website). I enjoyed shopping there 30 years ago when living in Michigan.

VD in AZ

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.