Gunco Forums banner

My sons new 300 AAC Blackout

4K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Coils 
#1 ·
My son has finally graduated from his Rossi.357 single shot rifle to something a little bigger for hunting. I was out shooting some hand loads through my ultralight ar and he wanted to try it. I was a little hesitant but let him try. His first group (eotec exps and magnifier) was at 77yards all in 3/4 of an inch center to center. His second group was 1 3/4 of an inch. I had been reading up on the 300 AAC Blackout. Basically a .221 necked up for .30 cal and when loaded to supersonic velocities it is a match for 30-30 and 7.62x39. Soooo i ordered a green mountain .308 gatlin barrel for 40 bucks, chopped the chamber, reprofiled and built him one. At first he wanted a m4 handguard but then wanted me to make him a free float tube. Knurled. With ball nose grooves. Not vented. Oh and make the grooves SPIRAL. I spent a few hours in the shop and here she is. I still need to bead blast and camo it, plus that is a Neighbors lower that was handy for the pic (WARNING that is a moores machine shop lpwer DO NOT buy one)

#27 ·
I also was able to get 8 rounds down the 450 bushmaster using an eotec before it got too dark. 7 out of 8 were touching. Infact you could only count a 4-5 round cloverleaf. The 8th was when it was dark and i guestmated where the dot was. It was 1 inch high right. That bitch will bump your shoulder!!

#28 ·
VZ, Do you think the gatling gun barrel has a bit oversized bore? And how long is the barrel and what length gas system did you use? 2.5" groups or not, it still a very cool gift that I'm sure leaves your son with a sh*t eattin grin every time he picks that gun up.

#29 ·
Barrel is 17.5" i went long to make it muzzle heavy for him. Carbine gas system is required for 14-20" bbls. Pilot on the reamer fit just right so i dont think it is oversized and the specs on the barrel showed the correct bore. Maybe the crown is off but it looks right.

#31 ·

Good day today. Annoying squirrel at 60 yards in the corn pile. One shot, dead center. 155 lb buck 62 yards. First deer ever for him. 123 grain ballistic tip entered right shoulder, broke up against left lower ribs. 15 feet and dropped. I actually think the 300 would have done better at a further distance delayong or reducing the bullet break up. One happy kid.

#36 ·
Im thinking a 9" pistol until sbr'ed for the wifes home defense gun. The round really did a number on the deer. Frags found in heart, aorta both lungs wiped out, unfortunately a piece of the jacket got into the abdomen, no exit. Recoil is nothing and although not hearing safe it is not painful at all. This round has alot of potential.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.