Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My sons new 300 AAC Blackout

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Default My sons new 300 AAC Blackout

My son has finally graduated from his Rossi.357 single shot rifle to something a little bigger for hunting. I was out shooting some hand loads through my ultralight ar and he wanted to try it. I was a little hesitant but let him try. His first group (eotec exps and magnifier) was at 77yards all in 3/4 of an inch center to center. His second group was 1 3/4 of an inch. I had been reading up on the 300 AAC Blackout. Basically a .221 necked up for .30 cal and when loaded to supersonic velocities it is a match for 30-30 and 7.62x39. Soooo i ordered a green mountain .308 gatlin barrel for 40 bucks, chopped the chamber, reprofiled and built him one. At first he wanted a m4 handguard but then wanted me to make him a free float tube. Knurled. With ball nose grooves. Not vented. Oh and make the grooves SPIRAL. I spent a few hours in the shop and here she is. I still need to bead blast and camo it, plus that is a Neighbors lower that was handy for the pic (WARNING that is a moores machine shop lpwer DO NOT buy one)

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Well my smart phone wont post the pic. Will try from home later

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Dangit, tease!!!!! LOL. Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing it.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Missed out

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Will try to get better pics of twists in handguard tomorrow. The tasco is just enough magnification to help him id deer in the brush. He is still not that good at picking them out yet.
    Last edited by vz58; 09-01-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I like that handguard

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I hated it at first. He wanted the grooves twisting the other way but hes a righty so i cut them this way for a good grip. After some rattle can black it looks better and i guess seeing him staring lovingly at it the last few days its growing on me. One day i wont be able to make him this happy so he can have it his way. Except he is talking of painting ot blue...i cant do that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

VZ you are a great dad!! Wish my father would have made a rifle for me. You did a nice job on the handguard too.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I like the 300 BLK round. BigAl and I just got done building a couple of these for ourselves. I found some reconditioned LC brass in 300 BLK for 16.50 per 100. I still need my AAC flash hider and a can for it, but the rifle is done .

PM me if you need the contact info for the brass.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I think i am going hornady ammo for the season then i will play around with hand loads. His barrel is one in ten twist so it may not do the heavier bullets

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.