Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Print-your-own AR parts

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Print-your-own AR parts

Well, I imagined this would happen at some point...someone has now posted the Print-on-demand 3D printer file for both an AR magazine & a lower receiver.

Mag: AR-15 Rifle Magazine by crank - Thingiverse
    Lower: AR-15 Lower Receiver by KingLudd - Thingiverse

3D printers are really becoming more of a reality now, and they are doing more than just plastic parts, some of the industrial type machines can do metal parts too. They can do fairly precision parts now, here is a great example:
    High Quality Pliers by russrobot - Thingiverse

The coolest thing is that in theory, with the plans/parts file a machine like this can print out the parts to make duplicates of itself(minus the electronics of course).

In case you are wondering, the printers are still a bit expensive from $1200 for a full kit to ~$2250 and up ready to run. Some are starting to be made in China and thus the price for an at home model is coming down fast. (see this one: Personal Portable 3D Printer

Here it is in action:
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i wonder if one could do a 7.62x39 bolt?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

One of the big name companies that does use industrial machine, Shapeways, is now offering 3D printing service in stainless steel.

The page below tell about the details/costs/engineering specs. I believe it could be do-able and also be strong enough, but I don't know how to evaluate the material specifications they list. Also on that page is a great video showing the process; they print the design using stainless steel powder and a binder, and then bake it in a high-temp oven to make it solidlfy. This is sintered metal, a process that is now being used to create many firearms parts by some aftermarket suppliers of 1911 parts, etc.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/stainless_steel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Update: Here is another cool video showing how laser sintering is used to fuse nylon plastic into a complex part. Eventually they will have higher powered versions of these that will do the same thing with metal powders to produce metal parts.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Last edited by Rocster; 02-03-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the links, that's cool as hell seeing that happening.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Man I would love to have access to something like that, except with a metal powder!!!!!!! Man the car and gun parts that could be made!!!! Need an M76 receiver, just scan one in and print it out!!!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ok, I took the plunge. I jumped into a Kickstarter project that is making 'affordable' 3D printers, only $499. My ready-to-assemble kit is supposed to arrive by the end of this month.
    BTW, the guy who started this thought he would raise around $10,000 and build about 20-30 kits. Instead nearly 1000 people signed up and he raised $830k in about 25 days!

printrbot - Home

Printrbot: Your First 3D Printer by Brook Drumm — Kickstarter
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

rocster, please let me know how this works out for you.money is tight right now,so i would like to hear from someone who actually bought and used one before i consider taking the plunge.this looks great. good luck and thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Will do...
    Update on my DIY kit is they maker is about 2 weeks behind schedule. Guess that means I'll see it by end of March now if all goes well.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

o____O WTF i didnt know this shit even existed!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.