Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: buffer tube drilling question

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

If you dont mind a suggestion. If your drill pess table will spin upside down, put a 90 degree block up and shim the receiver out. This will put the buffer ring flat on the table and square. It will be most stable this way. When you drill youll be going though the center hole of the table from the back side and the receiver will be true. You just cant press hard, let the bit cut. Its hard to discribe but i did it at a friends with great results. I can set it up and send pics if needed.

BTW how did you do such nice work on the fcg pocket without a mill??

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

no the hone will not work I started doing this about tens years ago when I did a DSA 0%
    I had to drill out the hole with the largest bit I could find
    then I used a series of round files I have a OSI jig which made this easier for me. to line up the hole.
    I don't own a bridgeport nor do I need one its easier by hand

hones are great for truing the interior brake cylinder, but not cutting a new one
    sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Make a plug to fit the bore of the existing buffer hole. Mount plug in drill press and lower quill into existing buffer tube hole. Now clamp the receiver so that you can maintain this centered position. Once clamped and on center perfectly, you can then step up in sizes slowly or go right to the tap drill size provided a slow feed and lots of lube is used, you'll have a perfect tap drill hole on center. Go slow, rigidity of receiver is a must. If you have a 90 degree angle plate, you can mount the receiver on the upper edge against the plate to get your buffer hole location perfectly aligned to your drill table. It sounds complicated but worked for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

well i am happy to say that it is done.
    i used a half round bastard file, a brake hone, and that bigass drill bit
    then was able to tap the hole
    i checked it with a buffer tube assembly from one of my other toys
    and cycled the action with a completed upper, and it works great
    here are the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post
    If you dont mind a suggestion. If your drill pess table will spin upside down, put a 90 degree block up and shim the receiver out. This will put the buffer ring flat on the table and square. It will be most stable this way. When you drill youll be going though the center hole of the table from the back side and the receiver will be true. You just cant press hard, let the bit cut. Its hard to discribe but i did it at a friends with great results. I can set it up and send pics if needed.

BTW how did you do such nice work on the fcg pocket without a mill??
    this work took about a month to do, as i used only a 1/4 endmill ,a tabletop drill press, files, and several drum sander tubes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by earnie View Post
    this work took about a month to do, as i used only a 1/4 endmill ,a tabletop drill press, files, and several drum sander tubes
    Nice work earnie! looks like you did a fine job. did you use a jig for the FCG holes? The buffer retaining pin hole is not a big deal, there are good instructions at some of the biy ar forums. Doesn't look like you need much advice though, again, nice work.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Congrats, she looks good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.