Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking into building an AR

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

WOW those 308 models at JSE are a very good deal, I was looking at putting one together a couple years ago and the cheapest I came up with then was $1500 with a 20" barrel, they have an 18" listed but it's out of stock for $1k and a Rock River 26" for $1500
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

JSE and EBR have some great deals from time to time.

i finished a low dollar 9mm conversion for myself after JSE got all those 9mm goodies.

i think i got $220ish in the 16" 9 mikey-mike (mags extra) -- mags and small parts i raided from my spares bins added-- i might have $300ish in all the 9mm gear--

far less than any 9mm kit i know of. it seems to be a real 'shooter' to boot!

Feedback Score

Thanks for all info guys.
    J427x I didnt know about jse. They have great prices.
    Polish AK 74
    ------------------

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by ARMO View Post
    Thanks for all info guys.
    J427x I didnt know about jse. They have great prices.

there good people and they ship as fast as new-egg--LOL

i

Feedback Score

Hi Armo ! Armalite308 Here. I love my .308 Special edition 50th Ann model picked it up a few years ago and I would not leave home with out it ! But research it a bit and what ever way is the least expensive and you like it go for it . I like my .308 ! Happy Holidays ! see ya ! Armalite308

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The 308 would be my choice and dosn't cost an arm and a leg to buy ammo for, weights in a bit heavy , but hey, what ya going to do. Hell unless you really HAVE TO build your own, you can get a DPMS panther bull bbl ready to rock for <1200. Wildcat calibers are just to spendy to shoot if you want to shoot allot. 308 for me. Plus you can get it at any mom and pop store, try that with 300 blackout or 6.8.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

personally i go with a bolt-action for 308 as it is lighter and you don't go through so much expensive ammo so quick + accuracy is very solid even with the cheaper bolt actions.

i kind of like 6.5G in the AR-15 as a do everything well in the small frame AR-15 carbine deal. the cheapest 6.5g is about $13 a box of 20 i don't think your saving much over a 308 except size and weight -might be a little cheaper to build on the small platform--

on of the things about AR-15 and AR 10s is their modular so swapping from one cal to another is a breeze. a 5.56 can swap back and forth with a 7.62x39/5.45x39/6.5G/6.8/.300blackout and so on with the twist of a barrel wrench and the swapping of a bolt so your not really 'married" to any cal like you would be with other semi-automatics.

the ar-10 framed are the same with the 308/243/260 and so on--though the big frames are more expensive to re-barrel -- so you probably won't want to change calibers on a whim like i do with the small framed ar-15s--LOL

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

All respect to those who have posted opinions.

My opinion is this:

Lower Receiver: Tactical Machining.
    https://www.tacticalmachining.com/re...-stripped.html

$229.00

Everything Else:

.308 Caliber AR Parts Kit - 26, for DPMS lowers [AR10-RK26D] - $589.00 :: AK Parts kits - Superb Products

$589.00

Total is: $818

Mags from here:

Magpul Polymer 20rd .308 (7.62x51) PMAG 20-LR Magazine Black

$18.95 Each.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best deal going. I have bought from these folks before. There are some issues that I have had, or have seen first hand. JRS got a bad barrel (bad chamber actually), Gas rings (who cares), rough fit in the upper (nothing 100 rds did not fix), and slightly out of spec lower components ( nothing that $15 could not fix, the supplier has always made it right on the first try.)

Good luck, and post the results. I am willing to learn more.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

wow bellson that is a great deal.
    Thanks for the links.
    Polish AK 74
    ------------------

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yup, that is hard to beat for sure. I may need to do one once I recover from the hoildays, the Mauser I'm getting from bellson and the Buick restoration. I've been wanting one for a bit sense I shot one of my friends 308's a couple years ago. I'll keep those links saved for future refrence, thanks for posting them bellson. Midway has stripped DPMS lowers for 125, ya could save anouther 100 there, there sounding better all the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.