Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking into building an AR

Feedback Score

Default Looking into building an AR

Got a couple of AKs, now thinking about doing an AR build. Thinking about a 7.62x39 to have same caliber as one of my AKs, or a 308. I want it to be more of long range rifle, id want a 20" barrell. Gonna have it scoped, since I already have one. Not gonna be a rifle I put a lot of ammo thru. Might be using it for hunting too(well if I'm allowed to, ill have to check)
    I am leaning towards the 308, but throw some other suggestions if you got some.
    Never built one before. And don't want to blow thousands on it.
    Can this be accomplished for about $1k?
    Thanks in advance.
    Polish AK 74
    ------------------

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a 308/260/243/7mm08 and so on are better for any kind of long range work on mid to large sized game.

the 7.62x39 don't seem to gain a lot from longer barrels, a 16" is plenty for all the x39 has. good for mid-ranges shots on deer , and cheap to shoot.

the 6.5 grendel is a better at long range on mid sized game than the 7.62x39 and will fit in the ar-15 lower.

any of them can take a deer so it is a size,weight and expense trade off. pick the one that comes closest to whats needed.

Feedback Score

Armo, if you really want one I have a barreled 762x39 20" upper for sale, no bolt or carrier

Feedback Score

How about a .300 blackout?

edit: Never mind, built off .223 receiver (brain fart), unless you wanted to do an 80% receiver but would cost you more than a $1000 by the time you were done.
    Last edited by rfd298; 12-16-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Brain Fart

Feedback Score

I think I like 308 or the 7mm. Or 300 win mag?
    Do you guys have exp with those? Im assuming 308 wpuld be cheapest and easiest to build? Please correct me.
    which recievers would I use for 7mm or 300wm?
    What would be the expected kill range on larger animals with each caliber?
    Polish AK 74
    ------------------

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ARMO View Post
    Got a couple of AKs, now thinking about doing an AR build. Thinking about a 7.62x39 to have same caliber as one of my AKs, or a 308. I want it to be more of long range rifle, id want a 20" barrell. Gonna have it scoped, since I already have one. Not gonna be a rifle I put a lot of ammo thru. Might be using it for hunting too(well if I'm allowed to, ill have to check)
    I am leaning towards the 308, but throw some other suggestions if you got some.
    Never built one before. And don't want to blow thousands on it.
    Can this be accomplished for about $1k?
    Thanks in advance.
    Hey Armo, yeah I'm a big time AR guy and .308 would definitely be the way to go. The ballistics of the round is unmatched in any battle rifle I've ever shot. Also the cool thing about .308 is when you start shooting it people tend to hide behind things. It is rather expensive to throw one together though. I'm not positive, but it might be kind of hard to do for $1K. Maybe looking at $1.5K to $2K for it. Just the parts for a .308 conversion is what gets you. The barrels, recievers, guts... everything is a little bit more pricey. I've seen .223 rifles put together for just over $600, but those pieces grow on trees. It would be tough to keep the price down, but if it can be done let me know. I have done some research, but when looking at the prices I can't help but get intimidated and my credit card trys to run away from me. Good luck though I hope it works for you whatever caliber you decide to go with.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Do you guys have exp with those? Im assuming 308 wpuld be cheapest and easiest to build? Please correct me.
    Also to answer your other question about .308 effective range, you can definitely hit steel at 1,000 yds, but to make sure you get a kill with some knock down 800 yds with a good scope should do the trick. Good luck again. And sorry I really down have too much experience with the other rounds you are asking about.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

.308 is a different lower. You can use a AR-15 lower for 7.62x39 I've got a 6.8 barrel but not done yet for a regular lower.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

I'm not a huge AR guy, but I have done a fair amount of research from when I built my first AR, and I think for parts availability, mag choices, ammo selection, etc.... an AR based rifle in .308 is your best bet. It's gonna be over $1K though, as already stated above. If you can build it yourself from parts you could probably do it for $1200-$1500. If you buy one it would probably be closer to $1800-$2000. Good luck with your choice.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.