Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any inexpensive Blackout barrles out there?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I keep hearing about the 300 blackout but don't know anthing about it. What is a standard caliber comparison to it? And are the reloading components still a bit hard to find? Reasonabilly priced? The ammo prices is a major thing that has kept me away from what I'd refer to as a wild-cat chamberings. I've had many in the past and many just seemed to fade away with no access to components after a short time. Always a concern to me, I'd hate to build up something just to end up with no ammo for it, been there done that. If I wanted a club, I'd just cut a branch off a tree otherwise. And that's what you'd end up with, without access to reasonibly priced ammo. I still got a few wid-cat "target clubs " haning on the wall or hiding in the safe. Not very handy to have.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i figure it is a decent round. sort of like the 300 whisper --just made on the much more common 5.56 case.

it preforms a lot like a 300w or 7.62x39 from what i have herd. it is a less involved swap that a 7.62x39 cause you don't need a special bolt or mags.

last i saw was $14 a box of 20

the 300B is the in thing for those running a can i'll bet. don't know what is going to happen with the round.

no matter how good a new round is it may never get common enough to be cheap.

look at the 6.5 & 6.8spc, very good rounds for the AR--do about everything better than 5.56 , less 6.5g wolf steel case ever arrives--we looking at $13 a box from now on.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

The whole thing started because JD jones owns some rights to the 300 wisper.. and he is such a ass he will/would not sell the barrels with out a complete upper $1500 etc... so people wanted a round that would work in the 5.56 upper with off the shelf parts...ie.. bolts mags etc.. with out paying JD jones..huge dough.. that would work well with a Sound suppressor.. AKA Can.. I'd rather have a 450 bushmaster or socom, and suppress that round..like redjacket did..but to each their own.. B2B

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

The blackout uses the ar10 muzzle threads. The price of ammo keeps dropping and 7 ammo manufacturers are making rounds or starting production. The blackout supersonics are loaded a little hotter then the whispers and you can shoot whisper ammo in a blackout but not the otherway around. (Think 5.56 vs .223). My 8 year old hunts with the blackout and it is very effective. If I didnt hold a lot of 5.56 ammo and weapons I would probably go straight blackout. Also the black develops most of its velocity in the first 9" barrels making sbr and pistol builds very effwctive as well. Reloading supplies are becoming very common. I there are 3 basic twists. 1-10 is some of the older(oldest) and will generally stabilize up to 208 gr. 1-8 was the standard twist, it works for 110 to 220 gr. Now they are coming in one and 7 twist for up to 247 gr. If you are looking for hunting and home defense, any twist above is good. If you want to suppress and want the maximum out of the black go 1-7 with 247. Barnes is coming out with a 110 gr solid that has very impressive test results against media.

Feedback Score

I built one and love it. I got the CMMG barrel from Midway and a set of dies to reload. It is great and I smile everytime i shoot it. Taking it hog hunting in Texas next week can't wait. I will get a can for it this year also. Got the brake from Amazon.com its a octagon brake and all in all it works great.

Paul

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Have a CMMG barrel on mine. Had 1700 rnds of 5.56 brass converted to 300 B/O and load them with 150 gr fmj. Shoots great and accurate.
    I know nothing...........nothing !

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Box of 20 UMC 125 gr plinkers is down to $10.80. This just keeps getting better and better. Im thinking of a SBR krink in 300, better ballistics then 5.45, 5.56, and 7.62 out of a stubby bbl. I have the spare 5.56 parts.....

A couple of companies are sizing, trimming and reaming the pockets on your used 5.56 brass for about .05 a round. This takes the most tedious tasks away from the hand loader.and for cheap too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

300 Black Out

Stainless steel AR 15 300 Blackout barrels
    Thread pitch: 5/8X24
    Available in standard 16" and
    shorter for custom orders (no shorter than 9") $250

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

4d reamer rental
    300 black and head space guages, $38
    Green mountian blank,$29-97
    Bbl extension $21
    Gas block $30
    So if you have a lathe, the barrels are pretty darn cheap. I pulled 2 10" and one 7" out of a 27" $97 blank and a couple 14.5" to 18" hunting bbls pretty cheap.

Of course if you dont have a lathe....

Feedback Score

The 300 blackout sounds very interesting. I've been less than thrilled with hunting using my 5.56 in the thick woods of deep East Texas. There is seldom that nice clean, clear shot, whether it's deer, hogs or varmits. I like the performance of my 308 bolt, but I'm really not wanting to move to the AR-10 platform. And yes, I too, worry that it might be a round that goes away like other fads have done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.